Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   2000 sl drops engine response (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/2000-sl-drops-engine-response-6652/)

tkings1 03-14-2012 09:06 AM

2000 sl drops engine response

I have a 2000 Saturn sl and I'm having a big problem... at random my engine will become unresponsive to my gas pedal... I can start it right up every time no prob no hesitation at all then as I'm driving ithe rpms will drop to idle and I can put my foot to the floor with nothing from the engine... let it run for a few min then I can drive right off again...for a while....till it happens again.

Changed the fuel filter, used HEET, new crankshaft sensor, engine was rebuild along with the trany not too long ago...

2000 Saturn SL 5spd stick, everything stock 150k

Throw any ideas I am straight out of them.

Thanks
-Trevor

Octavious 03-14-2012 11:40 AM

is the check engine light or service light on or come on when this happens? If so finding out the codes might help

Rubehayseed 03-14-2012 06:39 PM

You sure the clutch isn't slipping?

OceanArcher 03-15-2012 03:06 PM

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) ??

derf 03-15-2012 10:30 PM

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Maybe an intermittent clog that is severely restricting fuel flow

or

the exact opposite --

too much fuel (fuel pressure regulator)

What's the fuel pressure on the fuel rail under the hood?

tkings1 03-16-2012 07:33 AM

Changed the fuel filter turned out the pump was on its way out so it would only give enough fuel to keep running at idle. When I checked the fuel coming out of the lines it was barely drizzling and stopped completely after a few seconds.

derf 03-16-2012 09:31 AM

that could do it -- didn't want to fully implicate pump until filter was clear (one thing at a time).

All running smoothly now?

OceanArcher 03-16-2012 09:32 AM

Hmmmm -- One would have thought a pressure reading would have found sumthin' like this, but --> oh well. Glad you found your problem, and are back on the road ...

uncljohn 03-16-2012 10:39 PM

Hmmmm -- One would have thought a pressure reading would have found sumthin' like this,
============================
I wonder how many of us do not have a pressure gauge for fuel presssure?
I never owned one for carbureted cars and did not buy one for my own use until I actually built a fuel injection conversion for an I-6 engine in a car I still own.
It started loosing fuel pumps and that convinced me to buy a pressure gauge for fuel injection.
For carburetors, I use a clear glass in line fuel line filter that I can insert in the line and watch the fuel flow through it.
I keep that as a diagnostic tool.
But I have used the Fuel injection fuel pressure gauge quite often.
I am trying to justify the purchase of a code reader at the present.
I still do not have one, but for the most part, I have not really needed one yet.