Service Airbag Light?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:14 PM

The service air bag red light on my 2008 Outlook XR came on intermittently, finally traced it to moving the driver seat for different drivers. When the light is on, you have no air bag protection, I'm pretty sure. I know now which connector to push the wires in on, and can keep the light off (system armed and OK) pretty much all of the time.
(Yellow is the Air Bag Electric System identification color)

Last edited by rpw1690; 06-01-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Just replaced the front airbag sensors on a 2005 Chevy Silverado for my neighbor.

Idiotic design. Bolted to the backside of the bottom of the radiator cross support. Get doused every time it rains. Eventually, water gathers inside, winter comes, it freezes, and the sensor swells and cracks. Luckily this does not trigger the airbag, just an error code.

I asked for a bit of guidance on a silverado site. One dude tried to rip me a new one because I was stupid to work on a live system, even w the battery disconnected (control module has battery backup--enough to deploy in crash if battery disconnected).

He had not a word to say after I pointed out to him that the entire system is in fact disabled when an error is thrown by one of the sensors, so I was not working on a live system. They all pretty much completely disable until repaired.

Just like an ABS fault disables not only the entire ABS system, but also the newer TRAC systems which use ABS breaking as part of their stabilizing routine.

A couple of situations where what you don't know actually MIGHT kill you.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:26 PM

Hi all:

I purchased a 2001 Saturn L200 at auction for $213.00. The car is clean and is dry underneath and in generally good shape. It needed a mirror which we solved and it needs window work on both front and rear. We found the fan ran all the time which was the ETC sender disconnected. We also did rear brakes. I took it out for a test ride after installing brakes and found an airbag light and I found "service soon light". When I pulled up the seats I found the drivers seat had a single plug going from the belt buckle to the connector underneath and there was no other plug in the seat for the weight sensor. I found the passenger seat had NO plugs going into the connector: NOT A WIRE in the seat???!!!: Just the connector coming up from the floor? WHAT SHOULD BE AT EACH SEAT???? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-31-2018, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

The manual seat cars have two wires to the driver’s seat belt latch. No wires to the passenger seat. If you hit something you will get the airbags if the system proves out. If you have an airbag light on you will need to scan the car for airbag codes.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:00 PM
Question Thank you ... the front was hit before i owned it.....

....and there is no evidence of a bag having been released....So, I am wondering if they just threw parts on it the front end and never looked at the Air bag sensor or did a a complete hard reset of the system... (not that I have a clue how to do it). Does anyone here? I am led to believe from reading here that if the light is blinking the SRS system is shut down as a precaution? Tomorrow I will go look in the console and under the front seat to see where the module is. I am hoping this is as simple as contact cleaner on some connectors.... It also sounds like I am headed to an autozone for a reading of the codes.................

Old 03-31-2018, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Get the codes read and the bcm codes, I have a factory service manual set and can help diagnose.