Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn L300 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l300-23/)
-   -   upgrading my new L300 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l300-23/upgrading-my-new-l300-11399/)

Skyler Roberts 07-20-2018 02:36 AM

upgrading my new L300

i am not very experienced with vehicles besides speakers, i would like to upgrade my new baby with a new muffler, led headlights, brakes and possibly engine upgrades. i would LOVE for anyone experienced to help me out

Rubehayseed 07-20-2018 07:45 AM

Welcome to the forum. I can't afford upgrades so don't do them. But I'm sure Andy or someone else here will have a few suggestions.

derf 07-20-2018 12:15 PM

Z06....

02 LW300 07-25-2018 12:14 AM

Saab used this same engine with a turbocharger on one bank for a low boost system. You have to use their engine control systems but I imagine they run pretty well. There are lots of brakes upgrades out there, drilled rotors and metallic pads are a very nice improvement. I am not convinced with LED headlights yet I still like HID. As for exhaust I don’t really want to hear my car so I put L300 exhaust on my L200 for the extra pipe size and the twin tailpipes. For someone as old as me “twice pipes are pretty cool”.

derf 07-25-2018 08:39 AM

You're not old, you're "experienced"

Swami_Salami 06-20-2020 01:43 AM

I wonder if there are any examples of the aforementioned saab turbo additions?

RjAquaponics 06-20-2020 05:50 AM

Do they use salt on the roads during winter where you live? If so, you might want to inspect the front sub-frame before you do all those other upgrades. I live in Wisconsin and there isn't a sub-frame left in the state! My wife and Mom both bought L300's in 2000. Mom was driving on the highway and the sub-frame let loose. There was little to no steering as she exiting a highway and dumped the car off at the first garage. Our sub-frame was held together with rust. I found a sub-frame from TX on ebay. The installation isn't too bad, but it sure gives peace of mind the steering won't stop working.

After the sub-frame... replace all struts because it makes the car drive like new providing the bushing are still good.

As for the engine power, I believe it to be great as is. However, you could replace the topend with the Cadillac topend to get more hp. The Saturn engine was detuned with their own topend design. I'm not sure if the Cadillac parts would fit under the hood.

derf 06-20-2020 10:56 AM

Our L Car guru may or may not chime in with his thoughts. If he does, treat the information as gold. He's honestly that good.

Swami_Salami 06-20-2020 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by RjAquaponics (Post 64926)
Do they use salt on the roads during winter where you live? If so, you might want to inspect the front sub-frame before you do all those other upgrades. I live in Wisconsin and there isn't a sub-frame left in the state! My wife and Mom both bought L300's in 2000. Mom was driving on the highway and the sub-frame let loose. There was little to no steering as she exiting a highway and dumped the car off at the first garage. Our sub-frame was held together with rust. I found a sub-frame from TX on ebay. The installation isn't too bad, but it sure gives peace of mind the steering won't stop working.

After the sub-frame... replace all struts because it makes the car drive like new providing the bushing are still good.

As for the engine power, I believe it to be great as is. However, you could replace the topend with the Cadillac topend to get more hp. The Saturn engine was detuned with their own topend design. I'm not sure if the Cadillac parts would fit under the hood.

Thanks for the response and info!

We don’t have much need for salt OR pebble in West Texas, as it stays pretty warm and clear year round. Probably the reason you got such a quality specimen!

However, steering could definitely be tighter and I do think that ride and agility would be improved by replacing all struts, bushings bearings and hubs, brakes. Sounds kinda pricey. Ive been somewhat surprised by some of the prices I’ve seen!

Definitely need some new tires.

I'm very into the GM euro connection with these guys while still being built in the 🇺🇸. Best of both worlds.

Anybody know the best battery for the money?

02 LW300 06-21-2020 12:35 AM

Kyb struts and a set of Saab 9-3 16” wheels really tighten up the ride. Saab ignition systems are expensive to tune so maybe the Cadillac tune might be the way to go for more power. The Saab version of this engine was a low boost system so I don’t know how much you really gain.

I am a 4 banger guy so my L is going to get a high boost 2.0 Lsj variant and maybe a six speed. It may stay a five speed because the axles are way different in the six speed.

Have fun these are really nice cars, aftermarket Saab 9-5 sway bars will fit also if that is the way you want to go.