Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn L300 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l300-23/)
-   -   L300 shut down (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l300-23/l300-shut-down-9981/)

Fernandoz 05-04-2015 01:23 PM

L300 shut down

Hi, i own a 2005 L300 that shuts down when the temp indicator is on the middle, theres no engine code, ive already replace the fuel pump.

took off crankshaft position sensor and multimeter reads 150k ohms, what other test can i do?

derf 05-05-2015 01:59 AM

is it 100% consistent, meaning if you leave it idling in the driveway, it will idle up to that sane temp range, then cut out?

if the answer to the above is not yes, please provide some more details concerning when this happens (1st drive of the day(when engine starts out cold), after restart following stop for quick errand (when engine is warm)) while you're driving at highway speeds, stop n go, etc.

We need to nail down as much as we can in order to help you

Fernandoz 05-06-2015 10:24 AM

took off cps and tested in boiling water, multimeter goes from 135k ohms to 0.0 ohms

derf 05-06-2015 10:24 PM

Thanks for providing absolutely none of the information requested. Really don't understand why people behave this way, but here's the one and only response you'll receive from me
---------
So basically it becomes a dead short/piece of copper wire at higher temps.

I wonder how that affects the signal it generates.
_______

Fernandoz 05-07-2015 10:00 AM

sorry derf but the car is at my parents house, 1 hour away and i just have the cps in my hands, probably ill visit them this weekend and test the way you said

Rubehayseed 05-09-2015 07:43 AM

Why in the world would you put the TPS into boiling water? I've never heard of that. Thermostat? Yes. TPS? No. Please explain the logic behind this.

derf 05-09-2015 08:08 AM

cps crank position sensor.

derf 05-11-2015 10:14 AM

ya know, both those readings seem whack to me way too high when cold and way too low when hot. I would expect 700-1200 Ohm range. certainly shouldn't short at high temp. sure your meter leads were not touching? Usually when they fail they go open circuit when hot which is what your situation sounds like, but then as they cool down they re-establish continuity

No CPS signal to PCM-->no spark + no fuel inj signal--> engine does not run.

Fernandoz 05-11-2015 02:54 PM

Replaced CPS and the car runs great, ill take it off and check resistance just to have a comparative betweeen the old vs the new cps

Fernandoz 05-11-2015 02:58 PM

Just like derf says: No CPS signal to PCM-->no spark + no fuel inj signal--> engine does not run.

funny thing is that i ignored all sensors because the check engine light didnt light up, but the cps just shutted down spark and fuel when it got warmed.

Rubehayseed 05-11-2015 05:27 PM

No CEL at all? That's unusual. But anyway, glad to hear you've got it up and running. Now, drive it like you stole it!

02 LW300 05-11-2015 07:32 PM

That's great news, glad you are up and running. Check engine light only helps you diagnose things some times. If a sensor fails "in range" there will be no codes. I had a Jeep temp sensor fail at the 180 degree resistance and the rig would not cold start. They only used one temp sensor on this rig and I noticed the temp gauge read normal operating temp when it was cold. Please get your post count up to ten and stick around fellow L owner.

derf 05-11-2015 10:31 PM

SES light almost never comes on for
ECTS
CPS

even though i believe there are ODBII codes (and in some cases two digit codes for pre-1996 Saturns) for out of range hi/lo/no signal (going from memory).
The sneaky part is that when an old-style resin tipped ects fails and coolant gets into the sensor and connector, it usually increases the apparent resistance of the sensor to the resistance equivalent to -40 C=-40F. Since this is a real world attainable operating condition possibility, it is NOT considered out of range ---so no SES....which is why nobody knows it has failed.

Not sure why CPS does not set codes....seems pretty clear cut --- either there's a signal or there's not. Maybe you have to crank it 25 times for it to decide "OK there really is no signal". By which time you've overheated your starter and drained your battery.

02 LW300 05-11-2015 11:11 PM

Cts @-40 happens to all Gm vehicles, they run very rich and blubber. We have a 4.3l v-6 powered forklift and it started acting up. It had the industrial/ marine ecm setup, so I could not scan it. New cts and it runs like new, very common failure for Gm products. Just like tps is for Fords.

derf 05-11-2015 11:17 PM

well then. Did not know it was across the entire GM line...
Nor did I know about Fords and TPS's ...which is good to know now that my wife drives a 2014 Escape. (Threadjack) Any weaknesses I should know about? Has the 2.0L Turbo 4

02 LW300 05-12-2015 10:03 AM

Fords since about 05 have been drive by wire, the tps reference was for throttle cable Fords. I have only heard of new model woes on the Eco boosts. That is why they come with a warranty! :)

derf 05-12-2015 11:50 AM

ok then. Thank you. and I have a 2.0 Ecoboost!!! What have you heard, if anything?

Fernandoz 05-12-2015 12:00 PM

5 days and still running !
Does anyone have the service manual? or where can i download it? i want to disable the daytime running light/automatic light

derf 05-12-2015 12:01 PM

Fernandoz,

I see your IP address resolves to Mexico. Are there alot of Saturns there?

Fernandoz 05-12-2015 12:07 PM

Thats correct, im in Mexico and no, theres only a few saturns, actually i have only seen 2 or 3 L300 where i live

derf 05-12-2015 12:44 PM

As far as service manuals go, if you're talking true Saturn Issued FSMs (Field Service Manuals) that the GM techs would use at the dealership,

2005 Saturn L Series LS LW L300 Service Shop Repair Manual Set Factory 05 | eBay

seems to be the only option I can find.

Alpha Centauri 05-14-2015 12:22 AM

Sorry for my late reply...but I agree with Rubehayseed, what is a CPS? Thanks Derf for the explanation, I should have guessed, LOL, since he mentioned the crankshaft position sensor reading 150k ohms in the first post...HELLO! My understanding is...crank position sensor is CKP, and cam position sensor is CMP, for all manufacturers. Happy you found the problem Fernandoz! Got any pics of that 2005 L300? Would love to see it!

derf 05-14-2015 12:52 AM

We get a bit loose here. Kinda inherited it when we joined the forum and we keep propagating the nonsense forward. I'l make an effort to get on board. S and L cars do not have CMP's so that term doesn't get used much as there are not a ton of Aura or newer model owners on the board right now.

Alpha Centauri 05-14-2015 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 48607)
We get a bit loose here. Kinda inherited it when we joined the forum and we keep propagating the nonsense forward. I'l make an effort to get on board. S and L cars do not have CMP's so that term doesn't get used much as there are not a ton of Aura or newer model owners on the board right now.

Hey Derf, nothing wrong with "propagating the nonsense forward." LOL, I kind of meant that reply as a joke. Sometimes my sense of humor is too technical to be appreciated, but I think as long as we stay on topic, and all on the same page, or at least the same chapter, we're all good here! Live, love and learn.

derf 05-14-2015 08:04 AM

No prob. We all just go with the flow...some folx get cranky from time to time but whatever. Tends to be the older farts.

As long as someone can express to me crankshaft position sensor without using the abbreviation GFU I'm generally ok with it

towerman 06-25-2015 12:11 PM

i had a an engine light on and had it checked.it was a misfire on cyl. 1.so i changed the plug and just in case the wire was shorting out,i rerouted the wire.the plug was badly fouled.it's running good now,but the plug had the brand name [mighty] on it.i can't find it online.i know it's the wrong plugs and i'm going to put some bosch back in there and change them all.according to the upkeep records the previous owner gave me.it's been 8 years since they were put in.way overdue for crappy plugs.does anyone know of these plugs?who makes them?

Alpha Centauri 06-25-2015 09:57 PM

Hey there towerman, to answer your question, Mighty is a part's supplier like O'Reilly, Auto Zone and NAPA, but they only sell to automotive repair shops, like Good Year and Firestone, who can buy in bulk, and pass the savings on to their customers. I provided a video, and a link to their sight.

Home - Mighty Auto Parts - Mighty Auto Parts

derf 06-25-2015 11:11 PM

Just use the stock ones, but know that the best time to determine the fouling issue is now---it WILL happen again