Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn L300 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l300-23/)
-   -   2001 L300 License Plate bulb replacement (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l300-23/2001-l300-license-plate-bulb-replacement-5124/)

drosselmeyer 10-24-2010 09:45 PM

2001 L300 License Plate bulb replacement

I need to replace the bulb for the light over the license plate. I found the sockets but I cannot get to the bulb. The sockets appeart to be "L" shaped and I can pull the socket towards the center line of the car but I can't move it anymore than that. I have tried rotating it, pushing the sides togehter and just plain wiggleing the darn thing.

Thanks,

Drosselmeyer

OceanArcher 10-25-2010 07:58 AM

To replace the license plate bulb do this :

1) From the outside of the vehicle, remove the license plate lens screws and pull down the license plate lens and light bulb assembly as a single unit.

2) Lift the lens cover off the assembly.

3) Pull the old bulb out of the unit, and replace it with a new bulb. (use a cloth when you pull the bulb out and install the new one)

4) Place the lens cover back on the assembly.

5) Fit the license plate lens and bulb assembly back into place, and secure with the two screws.

sw2cam 11-10-2010 11:59 AM

OCEAN maybe you can make him/her a how to video for this highly technical mechanical procedure.

I will argue with you about the first step .... First the OP needs to open eyes.

RjION 12-05-2010 09:49 AM

Screws .......... what are screws?

derf 12-05-2010 08:21 PM

A screw, or bolt, is a type of fastener characterized by a helical ridge, known as an external thread or just thread, wrapped around a cylinder. Some screw threads are designed to mate with a complementary thread, known as an internal thread, often in the form of a nut or an object that has the internal thread formed into it. Other screw threads are designed to cut a helical groove in a softer material as the screw is inserted. The most common uses of screws are to hold objects together and to position objects.
Often screws have a head, which is a specially formed section on one end of the screw that allows it to be turned, or driven. Common tools for driving screws include screwdrivers and wrenches. The head is usually larger than the body of the screw, which keeps the screw from being driven deeper than the length of the screw and to provide a bearing surface. There are exceptions; for instance, carriage bolts have a domed head that is not designed to be driven; set screws have a head smaller than the outer diameter of the screw; and J-bolts do not have a head and are not designed to be driven. The cylindrical portion of the screw from the underside of the head to the tip is known as the shank; it may be fully threaded or partially threaded.
The majority of screws are tightened by clockwise rotation, which is termed a right-hand thread. Screws with left-hand threads are used in exceptional cases. For example, when the screw will be subject to anticlockwise forces (which would work to undo a right-hand thread), a left-hand-threaded screw would be an appropriate choice.

Wood screw Generally has an unthreaded shank below the head. It is designed to attach two pieces of wood together.

Coach screw (UK) or lag screw/bolt (US)[18] Similar to a wood screw except that it is generally much larger running to lengths up to 15 in (381 mm) with diameters from 0.25–0.5 in (6.35–12.70 mm) in commonly available (hardware store) sizes (not counting larger mining and civil engineering lags and lag bolts) and it generally has a hexagonal drive head. Lag bolts are designed for securely fastening heavy timbers (post and beams, timber railway trestles and bridges) to one another, or to fasten wood to masonry or concrete.Lag bolts are usually used with an expanding insert called a lag in masonry or concrete walls, the lag manufactured with a hard metal jacket that bites into the sides of the drilled hole, and the inner metal in the lag being a softer alloy of lead, or zinc alloyed with soft iron. The coarse thread of a lag bolt and lag mesh and deform slightly making a secure near water tight anti-corroding mechanically strong fastening.

Sheet metal screw (self-tapping screw, thread cutting screws) Has sharp threads that cut into a material such as sheet metal, plastic or wood. They are sometimes notched at the tip to aid in chip removal during thread cutting. The shank is usually threaded up to the head. Sheet metal screws make excellent fasteners for attaching metal hardware to wood because the fully threaded shank provides good retention in wood.

Concrete screw A stainless or carbon steel screw for fastening wood, metal, or other materials into concrete or masonry. Concrete screws are commonly blue in color, with or without corrosion coating.[19] They may either have a Phillips flat head or a slotted hex washer head. Heads sizes range from 0.1875 to 0.375 in (4.763 to 9.525 mm) and lengths from 1.25 to 5 in (32 to 127 mm).Typically an installer uses a hammer drill to make a pilot hole for each concrete screw.In the United States, concrete screws are commonly called Tapcons which refers to the brand name created from the definition of "an anchor that taps its own threads into concrete." Other commercial names for the fastener are masonry screw, confast screw, blue screw, self-tapping screw, and Titen.

Self-drilling screw (Teks screw) Similar to a sheet metal screw, but it has a drill-shaped point to cut through the substrate to eliminate the need for drilling a pilot hole. Designed for use in soft steel or other metals. The points are numbered from 1 through 5, the larger the number, the thicker metal it can go through without a pilot hole. A 5 point can drill a 0.5 in (12.7 mm) of steel, for example.

Drywall screw Specialized screw with a bugle head that is designed to attach drywall to wood or metal studs, however it is a versatile construction fastener with many uses. The diameter of drywall screw threads is larger than the shaft diameter.

Particle board screw (chipboard screw) Similar to a drywall screw except that it has a thinner shaft and provides better resistance to pull-out in particle board, while offset against a lower shear strength. The threads on particle board screws are asymmetrical.

Deck screw Similar to drywall screw except that it has improved corrosion resistance and is generally supplied in a larger gauge. Most deck screws have a type-17 (auger type) thread cutting tip for installation into decking materials.

Double ended screw (dowel screw) Similar to a wood screw but with two pointed ends and no head, used for making hidden joints between two pieces of wood.

Screw eye (eye screw) Screw with a looped head. Larger ones are sometimes call lag eye screws. Designed to be used as attachment point, particularly for something that is hung from it.

Thread rolling screws These have a lobed (usually triangular) cross-section. They form threads in a pre-drilled hole in the mating workpiece by pushing the material outward during installation.

Mirror screws These are flat head wood screws with a tapped hole in the head, which is designed to receive a separate screw-in chrome-plated cover. They are usually used to mount mirrors.

RjION 12-20-2010 10:14 AM

Thanks derf ........... I needed that, but do you have a video of all the fasteners I may find on my ION so I know what they are when I see them ..