Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/)
-   -   Wet carpet on drivers side after hard rain (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/wet-carpet-drivers-side-after-hard-rain-11255/)

rickdrat 04-14-2018 07:46 PM

Wet carpet on drivers side after hard rain

Yes, another wet carpet post. A few weeks back I had the issue of a small amount of water trickling in from the center console on both sides of my '02 L200. I've learned that this is caused by a clogged AC drain which I have fixed as needed. Today, after a substantial amount of continuous, all day rain, I found nearly an inch of water sitting on the driver's side floorboards. Passenger side is dry.

One thing I had noticed off and on in the past few weeks is a drip on the drivers side outside the vehicle. Not the usual AC drip on the driveway. This appears to be emanating from near the joint between the door and front quarter panel. When I open the door it seems like water may be trickling from the door itself, but I haven't had time to properly seek it out. Now that it's getting inside, I'm much more concerned.

Is there a drain hole somewhere that might be plugged. The vehicle hasn't been involved in any incidents or repairs since I noticed that exterior dripping. It doesn't appear that the water is getting in from very high up. The floor under the pedals seems dry. I imagine I'll need to spend some time in there once it's dry and get a hose to see if I can feret out where it's getting in. Just hoping there might be a couple of easy things to check first before I throw my back out curled up on the floor.

THERE IS NO SUNROOF!

EDIT: After calming down and drying off, I just went back outside and I can confirm that I hear water sloshing inside the driver's door. >:(

Thanks for any advice.

02 LW300 04-14-2018 08:39 PM

Will look at a front door that I have off a car tomorrow, I will take pictures of the drain holes.

Rubehayseed 04-15-2018 06:45 AM

Like Andy just said, Check the bottom of the door for any plastic drain plugs that may need removing. Sure sounds like water is cascading into the door and leaking back into the car because it has nowhere else to go.

rickdrat 04-15-2018 11:33 AM

So by the light of day, I went out this morning. Pavement is bone dry around car except for a large wet spot between front door and quarter panel. No longer hear water swishing inside, but there is a residual dripping of whatever's left inside. Looking at the bottom of the door I found three 1" slots evenly spaced along the bottom edge. I assume these are the weep holes? For what it's worth they appeared clean. I probed them with a 6" screwdriver and didn't see any evidence of dirt or debris clogs. For the most part the water seems to be dripping from a gap in the sheet metal at the very front corner of the door.

So I'm not sure this is so much a drainage issue as it is too much water getting into the door in the first place.

02 LW300 04-15-2018 04:48 PM

Those slots are in the plastic skin, I will pull a skin and look inside to see where the water can get trapped.

02 LW300 04-15-2018 08:01 PM

It looks like the noise pad just behind the plastic door skin can trap water in the door. I would drill a drain hole in the steel.

Rubehayseed 04-16-2018 08:34 AM

I don't know anything about these cars, but am wondering if perhaps a cowl drain could be clogged? What say you, Andy?

harrisck 04-19-2018 02:13 AM

Water Doctor

I have had a similar problem with my Saturn Vue. It began leaking though from the pane that goes down the windshield. Water would just drip on me while I was driving and I could splash my feet in a puddle of water. After research, I found someone who specializes in water leaks. There is a hose that drains the water from the roof of the car down. This hose can shrink from heat or other damage, causing the water to come inside. This has happened to both the driver side and the passenger side of my car. I just got it fixed Monday. I am not sure if the Water Doctor is available in your area but he has fixed my water leaks twice now! I did not though, have water in my door. Maybe it is not the same problem, just thought I would share my experience. Good Luck!
http://www.waterdoctors.com/index.html

Johnatan0955 05-06-2018 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by harrisck (Post 59369)
I have had a similar problem with my Saturn Vue. It began leaking though from the pane that goes down the windshield. Water would just drip on me while I was driving and I could splash my feet in a puddle of water. After research, I found someone who specializes in water leaks. There is a hose that drains the water from the roof of the car down. This hose can shrink from heat or other damage, causing the water to come inside. This has happened to both the driver side and the passenger side of my car. I just got it fixed Monday. I am not sure if the Water Doctor is available in your area but he has fixed my water leaks twice now! I did not though, have water in my door. Maybe it is not the same problem, just thought I would share my experience. Good Luck!
Water Doctors - We are the Right Choice to Diagnose and Repair Automotive Water, Wind and Dust Leaks and Auto Odor. North American company specializing in helping you fix leaks in your vehicles.

Thanks for letting me know about them. Had a flooding problem before, so I feel safer from the paranoia of it happening again and feeling hopeless.