Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Seat belts and air bag help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:20 PM
Exclamation Seat belts and air bag help?

Hi all and thanks for reading today. I bought a 2001 L200 at auction for $213.05. I got it with no brakes and not going into gear. it also had an Air bag light (ABS light was in the original post and I edited here), a Service soon light and a check engine light. The cooling fan ran all the time and neither of the driver side windows worked (the front one is held up with a wedge of wood and an old regulator motor assembly is in the trunk.) . The passenger mirror was missing. The rear bumper was off its mooring by the left rear wheel well and the front bumper has a split in it. On the bright side the car runs well, has a clean interior, all body panels are good except for a bad repaint on the hood. The car is loaded with Delphi and AC Delco replacement parts. The trans, EGR, AC hoses, PS hoses, front calipers, coolant hoses, and brake hoses have all been done: it looks like at one time it was in Dealer care. Its dark blue with a silver interior and has 178 K on the 2.2 L auto.

The brakes we solved by removing (I kid you not) the drywall screws someone had installed for rear drum shoe hold down pins (with flat wave nuts behind). We then installed new shoes hardware and cylinders after a full clean up of the fluid mess. Going into gear was solved by putting the selector cable back on the selector. The check engine light and the constant fan on was solved by reinstalling the broken connector on the ECT sensor. (I think when it was towed the tow guys disrumpted the trans and the coolant sensor.

So, today That left me with the bumpers, windows and the ABS light to solve. (I assume the service soon light will go off when the ABS issue is fixed). This morning I chose to work on the ABS. I pulled out the front seats and found a connector from the chassis connected to each seat. Within the driver's seat itself I found the burlap holding the foam bottom cushion in place had been cut and there was no sensor or sensor wiring in the seat. I also found one connector for the seat belt. I tested the seatbelt switch with the multimeter and a test probe both and it is working. Surprise of surprises when I lifted the front passenger seat I found NO wires going into the connector from the seat: the seat is wireless! is there such a thing as a blue tooth seat? ;-)

Can anyone tell me what wires are supposed to be in each of these seats??? what is the logic for the seatbelt swithces?: NC or NO? Can I assume there is a resistance to the sensor in the seat? Am I looking at a trip to the junk yard? Does anyone have a source for a diagram of these circuits? Who lives near Lancaster PA who has a pair of seats?

As for the windows and the bumpers....Any advice before I open both the drive side doors and start looking for window issues? (all fuses are good and have power to them). I am headed to the switches next unless someone here says something else?

BTW, i have access to both a 1997 L300 and a 1999 L200. Would the seats from wither of these work? Thanks so much!

Last edited by JaPa109; 03-31-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Abs is antilock brakes not airbag. I have not seen a drum brake car with abs.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:00 PM
Cool Long Days...said wrong thing. My light is airbags!

I apologize! I said ABS and meant to say airbag. The airbag light is on which is why i am chasing seatbelts. With that in mind do you have any thoughts about what should be in those seats? 1 2 wire connector for the belt and a two or three wire for the sensor? Would a 99 seat fit in this car?