Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/)
-   -   Loss of power and sputtering problems. (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/loss-power-sputtering-problems-11874/)

xenowildfire@hotmail.com 12-10-2019 06:54 PM

Loss of power and sputtering problems.

I am hoping that someone can help, i have a 2003 saturn LW300 and when I start the car it starts up fine, idles fine but when I start driving it starts sputtering and when changing gears it continues to do it and when the RPMs bounce up as the car is jerking like I hit and let off the gas plus the RPMs get up to 3000 or over that before it changes gears. I went to autozone when the check engine light was on and they checked it and it came up as a mass airflow sensor, said the fuel was too lean so i ordered the part and put it on today, well after I put the part on I hooked the battery back up and got in the car and it ran fine but later on I had to go somewhere and it ran fine for maybe 5 minutes and then started doing it again. The check engine light isn't on but there is a car with a wrench light that is on. I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here, any help would be appreciated, thanks

DropDead 12-10-2019 07:00 PM

Mass air flows are finicky.

If it is not stock, as in oem, chances are its gonna keep giving issues.
clean your throttle body and make sure your air filter is good as well.

Sounds like a maintenance light. I'm an ion guy tho. So I don't have that

xenowildfire@hotmail.com 12-10-2019 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by DropDead (Post 63471)
Mass air flows are finicky.

If it is not stock, as in oem, chances are its gonna keep giving issues.
clean your throttle body and make sure your air filter is good as well.

Sounds like a maintenance light. I'm an ion guy tho. So I don't have that

thank you, I will give that a try

DropDead 12-11-2019 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by xenowildfire@hotmail.com (Post 63473)
thank you, I will give that a try

Be careful with thr throttle plate as well

xenowildfire@hotmail.com 12-11-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by DropDead (Post 63476)
Be careful with thr throttle plate as well

I cleaned it and put it back together. It ran good for 5 minutes and then started doing the same thing.
I'm going to exchange the mass airflow sensor out and see if the sensor I got was just bad.

DropDead 12-12-2019 02:10 AM

See if it has any pending codes

xenowildfire@hotmail.com 12-19-2019 04:26 PM

I have replaced the mass airflow sensor and cleaned the throttle body but now the seems like it is worse and the harder I push on the gas it died out on me and wouldn't changed gears so I don't know if there is a hose that needs to be replaced or if something else is wrong

DropDead 12-20-2019 12:38 AM

Is it the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder? I think the l300 is the 6 but dont remember.

Try unplugging the maf and starting. If it runs fine amd throws a code, of check wiring next.

Also check the vacuum lines coming from the intake manifold and throttle body.

Other thing I can think of is the engine grounds or a starter fuse maybe.

If you're close to east Texas I wouldnt mind taking a look at it to try and help.

xenowildfire@hotmail.com 12-20-2019 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by DropDead (Post 63539)
Is it the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder? I think the l300 is the 6 but dont remember.

Try unplugging the maf and starting. If it runs fine amd throws a code, of check wiring next.

Also check the vacuum lines coming from the intake manifold and throttle body.

Other thing I can think of is the engine grounds or a starter fuse maybe.

If you're close to east Texas I wouldnt mind taking a look at it to try and help.

Ok I will try that next, thank you but I live in Florida.

DropDead 12-20-2019 04:00 AM

No problem. Sometimes I need a second set of eyes.

maybe the coil pack. Trying to brain storm for you