Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/)
-   -   Engine Trouble (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/engine-trouble-7857/)

nsibert 05-12-2013 03:36 AM

Engine Trouble

Hey,

I have a '02 Saturn L200 2.2L with 130,000 miles. My wife drives this carmost of the time. So about a couple of days ago she told me about a noisecoming for the engine during startup. I checked it out and it sound like alifter sticking. I only hear it during startup and for about the first 5-10minsof driving then it goes away. So I am assuming that the oil is getting movedaround and quieting the sound. I am thinking that this could be a bigger issuewith the timing chain. I have read some articles about the timing chain issues onthis particular engine model that has caused lots of grief.

Any ideas of what direction I should go to further troubleshoot this issue?Not sure if it solely a lifter/rod issue or the timing chain. I am planning oncalling a dealer to check out any recalls. Thanks

Rubehayseed 05-12-2013 07:28 AM

First thing to do is check your oil level and make sure it's full. If so, I'd use a little Seafoam in the crankcase to see if that helps. When's the last time you changed the oil and what weight are you using. If 5W-30, then I'd recommend stepping up to 10W-30.

OceanArcher 05-12-2013 10:05 PM

10W30 is what my '02 L200 runs on ...

crimsonandblue 05-13-2013 09:36 AM

Could be a numbers of things but over time and with wear parts do not keep their original shape (small components will warp within thousandths of an inch over the life of the car) which is basically the reason why old cars don't run like new cars. It could be that until the oil warms up it's causing some kind of interference. Even a thousandth of an inch can cause small components in the cam and valve train to rub and cause a suspicious noise.

nsibert 05-13-2013 10:31 AM

Oil level was fine. I did an oil change and added some Seafoam. The noise is not as loud. But I can still hear it during start-up.

OceanArcher 05-13-2013 03:50 PM

Hopefully, the SeaFoam will eventually quiet your troubling noises ...

nsibert 05-14-2013 03:07 AM

I called a dealer and found out that my car is not under warranty for the timing chain. Bummer....I am hoping the Seafoam works.

Rubehayseed 05-14-2013 08:12 AM

If it was the timing chain, Seafoam would have had no effect on it at all. You can officially rule that out if the noise isn't as loud as it was. It sounds valve train related to me.

nsibert 05-16-2013 03:34 PM

Now the sound is getting louder and lasting longer. I am probably going to take it into a shop to at least have it diagnosed

OceanArcher 05-16-2013 05:41 PM

Please let us know the result of the shop visit/diagnosis ...