Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Saturn L200 Rear Brake Cable

Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Default Saturn L200 Rear Brake Cable

Rear brake problems on 2003 Saturn L200 turned out to be rusted rear parking brake cables locked-up. When tried to purchased new cables (Part # 21019721), was told they are no longer available and according to GM, they do not have or will not have any replacement. Do not seem to be able to find any available in replacement market or used market. Does anyone have any ideas on availability of the parts or options for replacing the part? Have others incurred the same problem with getting critical parts and if so what solutions have they found? Thanks.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Well, I've not run across a parking brake cable that was rusted up so badly that it didn't work, but I don't live in the northeast where salt is the name of the game for 5 months out of the year. First off, I'd try a different (or several different) GM dealers that may have absorbed a nearby Saturn operation. Next step would be anybody parting out a like vehicle. From there, the local U-PULL-IT yards would be the next stop -- good luck

Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 PM

When I lived in the salt belt and had to deal with a safety inspection yearly, this was a common problem. You developed the habit of using the emergency or parking brake regularly to keep them working. Had a number of them rust up do to purchasing used cars. They are a pain by any definition but managed to salvage all but the absolute worse by making a week end of fixing it. First I would remove the offending cable and then change the engine oil. I would soak the E-Cable in the used engine oil using vice grips and bench vices until I could worry the thing loose and keep soaking and worrying it untl leberally soaked in engine oil. This actually became a yearly thing. Not fun at all, but kept it working for inspections. I got really good at removing those things off of the car.
The only other option I can think if is a wrecking yard for used parts or try a major parts supplier such as through NAPA or CarQuest to see what they carry.
OR
one of the common forum contributors runs a wrecking yard.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Default Parking Cable Status

Thanks for ideas to date. The parking brake is used regularly, but sheath around cable rusted away and opened up cable for 3-4 inches, thus cable rusted solid. Have tried salvage yards and it seems most just cut cables when removing parts. Cables found at local U-PULL-IT's are rusted the same, so not useable. Also, have tried many dealers and even Detroit for replacement parts, but no luck. Will try removing them to see if can soak them and if can free up cable, maybe can make a new sheath. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 AM

Once you have it off the car, another trick is a bit of heat. A Burnz-O-matic works. Of course part of the trick is to not melt the plastic sheath so a bit of caution is in order. Also part of the trick is to use BeesWax which does not flame up like oil or grease does. Use heat. Melt BeesWax into cable. repeat as required try not to set things on fire, use bench vice and vice grips suplemented by colorful language and see of you can worry it free.