Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/)
-   -   Can't get out of park after engine mount replacement 2002 Saturn L100 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/cant-get-out-park-after-engine-mount-replacement-2002-saturn-l100-12455/)

amilehigher 11-14-2021 01:37 PM

Can't get out of park after engine mount replacement 2002 Saturn L100

I have a 2002 Saturn L100 v4 (L61) -

I'm in the midst of several repairs, currently replacing the tensioner and serpentine belt while I replace the water pump.

Well, I couldn't get my socket wrench in to remove the tensioner, so I used my floor jack to lift that side of the engine up about 2 to 3 inches. I did this very slowly and didn't hear anything creek/crack/break. I replaced the tensioner and added a new serpentine belt then put the engine mount back in place with all the bolts at the specified tension......I'm using the online chiltondiy manual to help guide me through this. The next thing it has said to do is to do the "powertrain mount balancing" but I have ran out of time for the weekend so I wanted to move my car forward 3-4 feet until I can get back to this project later in the week(it's just in the way of ally traffic a small bit where it's at)......I got in the driver's seat and tried to put the car into neutral so I could roll the vehicle forward a few feet, and I can not get the vehicle to even shift out of park! Did I screw something up by lifting the engine, or will the process to balance the powertrain mount fix the issue and allow me to get the vehicle into neutral?

Please help! And thank you in advance!

02 LW300 11-14-2021 02:58 PM

Did you disconnect the battery? You can manually override the shift lock by popping the plastic over around the shift boot out and reaching down inside. Or disconnect the shift cable at the transmission. Either one will let you shift out of park.

amilehigher 11-14-2021 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300 (Post 68021)
Did you disconnect the battery? You can manually override the shift lock by popping the plastic over around the shift boot out and reaching down inside. Or disconnect the shift cable at the transmission. Either one will let you shift out of park.

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I did disconnect the battery. I reconnected it before I turned the ignition to 'on' and depressed the brake trying to put it in neutral. I tried to disconnect the battery and reconnect a couple times to see if it would get the park lock off but that didn't work....And now when I turn the ignition to 'on', all the lights on the dash go crazy....

I'm pretty sure the only things that are disconnected under the engine right now are the engine coolant temperature sensor and the cable that plugs into the air cleaner. I'm really confused about the park lock because I have put the car in neutral and moved in back and forth over the past few days without issues. It's only after I replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner that the park lock started(which made me think that lifting the engine to access the bolt for the belt tensioner may have screwed things up?....). I'm waiting right now on a water pump with a housing so I can get all the other stuff plugged back in. Should the park lock be disabled when I get everything plugged back in after I install the water pump?

02 LW300 11-14-2021 07:23 PM

You probably have an extremely low battery. Try charging it up.

amilehigher 11-16-2021 09:45 AM

You were spot on, the battery was only at 10v. Much appreciated for your help!

I have another question. I'm waiting for a water pump with the rear housing so I can replace the old one, and I got a gasket set for everything. I can not seem to find a rectangular o-ring that mates up to the engine where the water feed and thermostat assembly is. I've attached a picture. What should I do? Can I use the silicone gasket maker for this?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sat...b5d812056e.png
Rectangular o-ring, where can I find a replacement?

02 LW300 11-16-2021 08:11 PM

36122 Is the Felpro number for that seal.

Rubehayseed 11-17-2021 07:59 AM

Hey Andy, when I look up that part #, I see a round gasket with "knobs" on it. He said he's looking for a rectangular gasket. Is that the same thing? That shows as a thermostat gasket at O'Reily and Autozone.

oldmarine 11-17-2021 08:32 AM

On RockAuto, for the water inlet gasket they show one listing, a 'GM Genuine' gasket, part 90537471. Note on the listing says "round will change to oblong shape when assembled". I'm guessing that when the gasket is properly inserted into the groove on the housing, it will assume the rectangular shape.

02 LW300 11-17-2021 07:07 PM

Both correct the thermostat takes a different gasket, the funny looking one fits in the rectangular hole but is round until installed.

Rubehayseed 11-19-2021 07:34 AM

Thanks for clearing that up, guys. I'm sure the OP will appreciate it too.