Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

2001 L200 AC Not engaging/ insrtument panel gauges intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Default 2001 L200 AC Not engaging/ insrtument panel gauges intermittent

Hi!

I have a 2001 L200 and have been fighting an intermittent AC issue. I first noticed this problem seemed to be associated when the fuel and temp gauge didn't register after starting. Sometimes I would turn the car off and then back on then the gauges would register and the AC would work. Now it seems that the AC doesn't work regardless of gauge activity. I have replaced the ignition switch. Didn't change anything on gauges or AC. I am not sure where or to look next? I have reseated all the wiring on the steering column. I think I have a coincidental instrument panel/gauge issue and AC problem, but both seemed to start at the same time. I am puzzled and frustrated as to what to do next? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

I looked up ham radio zone 0 so I know where you got your ham license. Are you still in that area? I will have to dig in the fsm but I know that the dash is controlled by the body control module and there is an a/c inter tie between the bcm and the pcm. It's late I will have to get back to you on this.
Andy

Old 08-03-2017, 08:05 AM

Qsl qsl

Old 08-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Kd7ijs

Old 08-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Great.

Now I have to buy an f'g ham radio to be cool....

Actually, I do know the guy who wrote that one book that lists all the different ham radio channels around the world and when there are broadcasts of different things, His name is Larry (Lawrence) Magne.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

A couple diagnostic questions for you. When you first turn on the key do the gages sweep? And the air conditioning, is everything dead or does only the compressor not engage? If the compressor does not engage does the a/c button light up when depressed?
The body control module provides data to the gages and also is involved with the compressor.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 PM

When you first turn on the key do the gauges sweep? Most of the time NO. May activate while driving randomly, but most of the time NO. Speedometer and Tachometer always work. Sometimes cycling the key and engine makes gauges work. Seems like that isn't working anymore.

And the air conditioning, is everything dead or does only the compressor not engage? Only Compressor doesn't engage. I have air blowing out vents.

If the compressor does not engage does the a/c button light up when depressed? YES

One thing I noticed is that my check engine light has gone out, and my daytime driving light has come on. The check engine light has to do with my gas tank. I think my carbon filter on top of the tank is plugged. I posted a separate one on this. Should I reset the computer??

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

After further review the gages are only supposed to sweep if commanded in a gage test with a scanner.
Does the engine throttle up in anticipation of the compressor load when you push the a/c button by chance?
I had an L200 do that and the clutch coil was the only thing bad.
Back to your dash.
If you are going to go wrecking yard harvesting I would see if you can find a bcm and a cluster.
The speedo and tach are driven just like the fuel and the temp gages by the body control module. The compressor is turned on if the bcm approves. The pressure switch runs through the bcm.

I would try another bcm from a wrecking yard. There is a security learn procedure.
The bcm is attached to the top of the glove box, disassemble the glove box to gain access.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Ok. No, the engine doesn't speed up in anticipation of AC engaging.

I think I will look for a BCM. I have several questions.

How specific is the model # of the BCM?

Exact match would be best, I assume? I will look for this on the original one.

Where would you get one? eBay or Junk yard?

Does replacement BCM need to be taken to dealer to load etc?

Just swap old for replacement?

What about the "learning" procedure?

If not done properly, you can corrupt the whole car??

I saw there was a DIY learning process? 3 cycles of turning the key on/off Leaving key on for 10 minutes each. Have you done this?

If the replacement doesn't work, can I put the original back in? Do I have to relearn this one again?

I want to make sure I understand all that is involved ad the procedure. i don't want to end up making it worse. Although, in research, the BCM could get so bad and car won't run.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the advice.

Scott

Old 08-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

You can go to the dealership and have them install a new bcm and program it. I do not know the cost, but the service department should be able to give you an exact quote over the phone.
I plugged a 2003 L200 automatic bcm into my 2002 L200 automatic car to verify the air conditioning probem was not bcm related. I did this with the car running so I did not go through the security retrain procedure. I did verify that the car would not crank with the 2003 bcm plugged in but returned to normal with the original bcm.
I have a v-6 bcm and it is clearly marked v-6, I have not tried it on a 4 cylinder car. I have the 2003 L200 automatic bcm and a 2000 LS/5 speed bcm also. The 2000 car was a base model with no power options, so I would assume it could be programmed for a loaded car.
I will play with these only as needed, my stick shift car is loaded with options and currently working fine.
I would not purchase a bcm from a wrecking yard unless you can verify why the car is in the wrecking yard. It may be there because of a bad bcm.
I say this because I really chased my tail with a wrecking yard pcm that came out of a car with no obvious reason for being there. It turned out that the car was there because the pcm was bad. Lesson learned!

Quick Reply: 2001 L200 AC Not engaging/ insrtument panel gauges intermittent