Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Ion (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/)
-   -   Topanga needs love, too (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/topanga-needs-love-too-10086/)

derf 07-06-2015 09:32 PM

careful with the shag; the offgasses in the summer contain weed from the 70's

goaliemo 07-06-2015 09:41 PM

peace and love dude!

19bonestock88 07-06-2015 11:20 PM

... The reason I asked is the said he had most of the stuff he wanted to do... I thought there was to be something that wasn't originally on the list...

goaliemo 07-07-2015 01:15 AM

nah, just need to order control arm bushings, shocks, end links, and top hats.
Plus I need to buy a spring compressor and press.

derf 07-07-2015 01:57 AM

I own these. Did 8 struts, have 10 fingers and 2 eyes left (pls wear eye protection while using them.

They are beefy. You can drive the bolts down w an impact gun or use a 1/2 inch ratchet and socket (my preferred method---more control). Most difficult part is keeping them opposite and upright at the start (as the spring is helical (duh).

OEM/MacPherson strut spring compressor 25550 at AutoZone.com

goaliemo 08-03-2015 06:29 PM

So, not sure if I told you guys yet.

Later this month I am more than likely going to Texas to work for 2-5 weeks. It is a 5 1/2 hour drive. Granted, I have taken Topanga to Houston a few times (5 hours away), but this time I will be there for an extended time to work.

Tomorrow I will be ordering KYB shocks (have struts already), moog sway bar bushings, Monroe all ceramic brakes ( I just did brakes 5k ago, but I don't like them), and KYB top hats.

Besides that obviously check all fluids to prepare her for the long trip. For now, I am going to keep her on the stock height, just because I don't know the roads out that way (I don't want to be bottoming out everywhere).

Plugs and air filter are new (under 5k).

I will add the OEM Saturn mud flaps I bought for her too.

Decided no go on the exhaust and intake. Shes my daily. No reason to make her loud and slow.

derf 08-04-2015 08:18 AM

If you've never tried ceramic pads, don't ever.
They are great in concept but brutal on your rotors and have a decidedly fading feeling compared to regular semi metallic.

I tried them on one of the S cars with 2 new rotors up front. Took me a week to learn to brake sooner due to the fade. Took 10K to warp a rotor

Removed from car.

Always liked saturn s car pads. I suppose I could track them down as a gm part number, but it's not worth the premium $ to go oem on that, and the compound is likely different than in 2001.

goaliemo 08-04-2015 11:33 AM

Really?
When I got the car from my mom, she had full ceramic brakes on there. Last me almost 50k, no issues what so ever.
She swears buy em, and I loved them, too.
I have semi metallic on there now, and not really liking them. They squeak bad, and the braking isn't as precise.

derf 08-04-2015 09:04 PM

maybe it has something to do with the weight distribution or difference in power brake boosters between the cars---dunno. Just relaying my nasty personal experience.

Others have had different experiences. I guess ultimately it depends on the specific application

goaliemo 08-04-2015 09:52 PM

I guess. I loved em. Mom loved em.
Couldve been the brand, too. Or maybe I just had a good set. Who knows.