19bonestock88's 04 Redline BUILD:finishing somebody else's project...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Default 19bonestock88's 04 Redline BUILD:finishing somebody else's project...

So, as many of you guys know, I sold my Taurus and spent my tax money on a sweet 04 Redline.

For sale ad here
2004 Black Ion Redline - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

Now, it's not perfect and needs some TLC in small places, but I love it for what it is, and if I can realize its potential, then all the better...

What it's got-

Factory Recaro seats
Hurst short throw
2.8" ZZP blower pulley
Dual pass endplate
Option B intercooler reservoir
ZZP heat exchanger, run in parallel with the stock one
Ported & polished blower
LS4 throttle body
80# Siemens injectors
ZZP cold air intake(lets you hear the S/C whine)
BadMab header
3" ZZP catted downpipe
2.5" MagnaFlow exhaust with resonator added
FE5 shocks, struts, and end links
Drilled and slotted brake rotors...

What it needs-

E-brake cable(goalie's got me there)
Clutch pedal(the clip is worn)
Tune(it runs rich, hunts for idle, and sets a P0172 code)

Some way for the intake to not suck water when it is raining(in progress)

All in all, I feel that I got a decent deal, but I need to finish the small things off so I can truly enjoy the car... That, and I need to get some decent photos of it CLEAN, with work there has been no time thus far...

Last edited by 19bonestock88; 04-08-2015 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff
Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 AM

Sounds to me like it's probably had the hell run out of it. BUT it is a redline, so as long as you're happy with it, that's what's important. Sounds like a fun project. Show it to us when you get a chance.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:12 AM

It probably has had the dog crap run out of it before the most recent owner, but I bet that he didn't log 1000 miles(the mileage on the title is nearly what showed on the odometer when I signed)and he did all the modding(or it looks like, most of the stuff appears fresh)... It did need an alignment, as it was munching the passenger front(realized this yesterday and had it taken care of)... Looks like I will need tires soon, the rears were half or slightly less with newer fronts, and now the passenger front matches the rears, and I've probably driven 2500 miles in the car...

Old 04-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

glad to see the taurus go and the Redline flow....

I take off a couple of weeks, and.....

Seriously, sounds like you got a great deal on a fun ride.

Withholding jealousy for future use.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 PM

Congratulations man!
Glad youre enjoying it though.
Just expect a CEL on a daily with them, for the dumbest crap. Its the life of a RL owner.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:19 PM

I'm fine with the CEL... I have an UltraGauge so I can read them as they pop up to know whether or not they are something to worry about...

So, I tried building my own intake to get the filter out of the water, and I am counting it as a fail... Don't get me wrong, it doesn't suck water anymore, but the sharp bend in the elbow, coupled with the filter location(between radiator and transmission) are causing a midrange hesitation, a noticeable power loss, and super high intake (IAT1) temperatures(120*+), as well as a loss in fuel economy... There isn't anywhere else to put the filter that isn't wet, so my plan is to figure out how to seal the hole in the bumper(fog light trim, anyone?) and remount the ZZP intake...

Old 04-08-2015, 06:29 PM

Or leave it open for a ram intake when its not raining. LMAO
Did you try emailing Josh at OTTP to see if he will sell you a hydro shield separate?
Its an add on option for the K&N he sells, but maybe he can sell one separate.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:57 PM

To be honest, I forgot about just buying a hydro-shield... I'll have to look into that...

Old 04-08-2015, 09:31 PM

Talk to Josh. He replied to me pretty quick.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

don't know how true CAI's are routed, but once through the fender/wheel well, etc, it has to curve up. can't you just drill a one way drain port at the lowest point of that bend such that gravity does the work for you, or does the inflow rate of the water exceed the rate at which it would gravity drain?

Obviously any solution to keep water from getting inside the intake in the first place is preferable. How about cutting a port in the top of the intake pipe after it enters the car, welding on a two way manual cable operated valve, and switching to non CAI mode when it rains? Invisible.

Quick Reply: 19bonestock88's 04 Redline BUILD:finishing somebody else's project...