Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Ion (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/)
-   -   Exhaust rattle? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/exhaust-rattle-9209/)

iON240 01-16-2014 02:40 PM

Exhaust rattle?

Okay so this has been driving me crazy! I have this rattle coming from under my car( more so near the rear driver side) its seems to be coming from my muffler. I'm not sure if its the heat shield or the muffler it self. It sounds like an empty can with like something in it that make s that metal rattle sound lol. Anyway I know its not the cat and the rest of the exhaust system seems good.

So what I am wondering is if i should 1) take off the heat shield see if it stops and call it a day, 2) buy a new muffler OEM or AM, 3) just buy a whole new Am exhaust system.

If i do get a new AM muffler or whole AM system what would sound the best for the best price ie under $600 for whole and under $200 for just the muffler.

Let me know what ya'll think. and thank you

derf 01-16-2014 10:47 PM

I think if you get under the car while its not running and things are cool (no jack necessary), you'll likely find that one of the fasteners holding the muffler heat shield to the car has rusted through. Drive a screw through it somewhere else and call it a day.

derf 01-20-2014 03:24 PM

and the verdict was?

Rubehayseed 01-20-2014 03:28 PM

It's only been 4 days, Derf. Not everyone gets to things as quickly as you! LOL

iON240 01-21-2014 07:28 AM

Well i did get under but could not see any fasteners and it felt like its just welded on well was lol but ill just take it to my mechanic as now I'm about to get hit with 10 inch of snow:(

derf 01-21-2014 10:08 AM

What's freshnclean? Sounds like premium cat litter.....

iON240 01-22-2014 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 42159)
What's freshnclean? Sounds like premium cat litter.....

Umm... ya no man it means my car is fresh (like new looking) and i keep it clean like not riced out or any crazy mods just clean...dont really understand the point of you asking this on the thread, maybe a pm if you really needed to know

derf 01-22-2014 01:51 PM

Dude

I thought it was some sort of aftermarket product based on the way it's in your sig.

Public funnin is a staple of this site--we're not all stuffy n proper but we do try to help each other and appreciate your continued presence.

And thank you for not ricing out your satty -- gives the brand a bad reputation.

Peace

Derf

iON240 01-23-2014 01:27 PM

Its all good my dude I realize I came off a tad rude lol no intent there sorry for that bro. I'm used to people on forums being asses all the time. Its nice to know that here I can be treated like a human lol. I did not realize but it does look like its a AM thing haha.

derf 01-23-2014 03:53 PM

Well welcome again to a forum full of asses

Rubehayseed 01-23-2014 10:28 PM

Especially derf! LOL

derf 01-23-2014 10:41 PM

your reputation precedes you, Rube

iON240 01-29-2014 01:15 PM

Ok so I put hoses clamps on the muffler shield and still have a rattle. So I took her to my mechanic and he said it does sound like a heat shield but could be the cat he'd have to lift it and look, but he said if its the shield I can just clamp it or take it off so I'm going to take it off.

And now my window is off the track and wont roll up or down :mad:(was frozen and my GF tried to put the window down :eek:). One thing after another with this car. I love her to death but damn the past 6+ years have been crazy with her lol. Got to love cars tho!:D

iON240 06-02-2014 11:13 AM

ok so after the clamps were put on it still did it. here is a clip of the noise

lmk what yall think my mechanic said he'd have to go for a ride with me to here it they can recreate it at the shop ( go figure it all ways happends that way lol) but it has gottin louder and i can start to here it on acceleration. if i sit and rev it to like 2k and hold it for a min it wont do it or if i rev the crap out of it. but only for a little bit it always comes back

Rubehayseed 06-02-2014 07:05 PM

Sounds like a fan belt slapping against something, but I'm not a mechanic. What the hell is that other sound, like a car door slamming?

iON240 06-02-2014 10:13 PM

haha ya that's a door shutting sound. I know its not a belt, it comes from what seems like right behind the engine bay almost right at the cat. But before I just go and rip the cat off and put a new one i need to make sure.

Rubehayseed 06-02-2014 10:31 PM

It sure sounds like some kind of metal vibration to me, but without being near the car, that's the best I can do.

Rubehayseed 06-03-2014 08:56 AM

Catalytic converter? Have you checked the shield around it? Tap that sucker with a rubber mallet and see what you hear.

derf 06-03-2014 04:27 PM

I thought we ruled that out a while back but I went through the thread and we talked heat shield for MUFFLER.

Put it up on ramps and crawl under there with the car off. You'll find out in 5 seconds if the cat heat shield is only partially connected.

if you have to, have a buddy rev it for you while under there but BE SAFE ABOUT IT.

iON240 06-03-2014 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 43906)
Put it up on ramps and crawl under there with the car off. You'll find out in 5 seconds if the cat heat shield is only partially connected.

Had her up on ramps already and the shield's good.

derf 06-04-2014 07:25 PM

Have you revved it on ramps?

RKelly5327 07-27-2016 09:05 AM

A HEAT SHIELD RATTLE- Yep. Me too! We have two Saturns; a 2003 LW300 wagon and a 2002 SL1 Sedan. They BOTH have rattling heat shields. I found that the original mounts, a flimsy arrangement at best, corrode so badly that you cannot repair it sensibly. There's nothing left in the aluminum to work with. I've tried drilling new holes and using sturdy wire to fasten the shield to something else, but it's a bit of an exercise in futility. The things are too long to try to pull out without having the mufflers removed. I'm thinking as of now that when the mufflers need replacing, I'll have those shields tossed. I don't know how important they are, but it seems to me that if they were all that important that Saturn would have come up with a better way of making the mounts last. So saith me- that's the King James Version. :-)

derf 07-28-2016 01:56 AM

OP currently MIA.

ET Phone Home (pls)

RKelly5327 07-28-2016 06:06 AM

I don't have any ramps. I don't have a good way to get under the car any more. At 80 years of age I don't have as much zeal about getting under cars as I used to. I did use my floor jack to lift it and some blocks of wood to hold it up so I could see where it was rattling. The thing is too corroded around the original mounts to do anything of any good.