Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Ion (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/)
-   -   Engine Noise (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/engine-noise-7990/)

iON240 06-25-2013 10:08 AM

Engine Noise

Okay so I started my car in the morning and this is what I hear.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EMSy6Yvx5w

I had to drive it ( I know very dumb, but i have no choice) to go get a family members car to use as i had to drive about 10 miles to the city. I had almost no power when I hit the accelerator, like I felt like a bicycle would of been faster!

She was driving the best she could the day before for having 163xxx on her ( I did beat the crap out of her when I first got her...I was 16 and dumb and I like to race:cool:).

If any one can help out as to what it could be/estimated price to fix I would greatly appreciate it.... If you need any more info I will gladly tell you if it can help!

Thank you

RjION 06-25-2013 11:17 AM

Sounds like a bad injector, but I can not pinpoint just where the sound is coming from. A stethoscope would narrow it down

iON240 06-25-2013 12:02 PM

I have her at the shop now so ill find out what it is.
thanks tho

Rubehayseed 06-25-2013 04:58 PM

Rj is probably right, but maybe you'll luck out and find it's just a spark plug with carbon clogging the gap. It sure has one hell of a miss in it. Sounds like an old red belly ford tractor.

RjION 06-26-2013 08:41 AM

What did you find out?

iON240 06-26-2013 10:13 PM

well my dude at the shop said that the engine is completely trashed!:eek: Not sure what all happened to it (I'll find out the total extent of the damage and post it up) but he got me a new motor with 22,000 on it!:D So now my baby will be back to life!!:D I'm upset cuz I have to dish out $$$ to get her back on the road but I love my ride so much its worth it all! and in a couple of months I'm going to get my tranny looked at/ or just wait till it starts to go and my dude said he will get me a nice deal on a total rebuild of the tranny:D So now Ill have a 04 iON with 22k on the dash.... Let the mods begin!!

Rubehayseed 06-27-2013 07:12 AM

Totally trashed? It didn't sound like that to me. I've been tinkering with cars for over 40 years and I seriously doubt that what ever that was, wasn't a repairable thing. BUT, it's your money and if you want to take someone elses word for it, so be it.

iON240 06-27-2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed (Post 37945)
BUT, it's your money and if you want to take someone elses word for it, so be it.

Manly I just dont want to deal with all the problums my car has been giving me i.e. loosing oil every 700 miles(no leak, completely empty), the bores in my cylinders are all messed up( I'm guessing the oil is seeping in:confused:(im still learnig things about motors lol)) But the way I treated the car in my younger years I'd rather get a newish motor anyway. Im in full time school and dont work much so my car being in the shop all the time just about, like it has, I cant do any more. So when the opportunity to get a new one came... I'm on it!

I do appreciate your input tho. It prob can be fixed but he mentioned he could just order me a new motor and ya I'm on it and its got a 1 year cover all warranty.:) Plus I have some money for a newer car but when this happened I was looking at other cars to buy and I just cant get ride of her! so I figured just get a new motor and boom new car lol:D

My mechanic knows me and my ride and he has never did me wrong so I can trust him.( hes the best in the area I've looked at the all..... ya all rip offs and cant do their job right lol)

RjION 06-27-2013 10:41 PM

Engine problems with an ecotec is not normal. They have been tough as hell.

iON240 06-28-2013 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by RjION (Post 37971)
Engine problems with an ecotec is not normal. They have been tough as hell.

I agree 100% but the way i was to her Im not surprised
she has been a drag racer,drifter,4x4,snow plow, etc... I literaly be the crap out of that car when I was younger lol