2007 Saturn Ion Airbag Light Blinking

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Exclamation 2007 Saturn Ion Airbag Light Blinking

Hello All!

So about 3 months ago, I was in a fender bender where my driver side airbag went off and both seat belts locked up. My boyfriend has a shop and was able to replace everything with the proper parts (airbag, seat belt, airbag modules). I don't know all of the details about that, but I know it was done right. The airbag light remained on, however because he didn't have the equipment to clear the airbag codes. Two weeks after, my dad replaced the passenger seat belt parts because we hadn't realized that it locked up also. After that, the airbag light started blinking instead of going off so I took it to a friend who could clear the airbag codes. He did, but the light is still on and blinking. At this point, I think I'm going to have to take it to a dealership, but I feel like they're going to want to replace all the work we did at home before turning off the light, which I don't want. Do any of you have some insight on why the light is still on and what I can do to get it to turn off? Thank you in advance for any advice!

Old 06-05-2017, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

You need to hook the car to a real scanner that can read the codes. Then you need a factory service manual to properly diagnose and repair your SIR system. It might be as simple as a crash sensor that tripped in the accident that they missed. Without proper diagnostic equipment it is difficult to repair these systems.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

My two cents"

When a GM based Airbag system is tested at startup, the airbag light should blink 7 times as the SIR controller module is sending signals to all sensors and waiting for a response.

If all the sensors acknowledge that they are fine and the SIR control module decides it is fine, the light goes out after the 7 blinks and stays out.

A solid airbag light indicates one or more of many possible faults. May be with a sensor not responding at start up check. may be wrong sensor, may be incompatible equipment (I'm not bashing anyone -- the Aura is an electrical nightmare).

to 02 's point, you need more than just a code reader to access, read, and erase these codes.

Contrary to popular belief, once the airbag system is functioning properly, the light will blink 7 times and go out. And stay out.
you do not need to clear these codes as the light indicates the result of the last self check.

Seen it w my own eyes after I replaced 2 bad sensors on neighbor's GM pickup.

Find the SIR control module -- often under one of the front seats, and check the connectors and wiring.

Also, know that usually your entire airbag system is disabled when the light is on.