Buy new or repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:40 AM
Default Buy new or repair

Well we are at a crossroads. I really do not have the money to put on a new car but I'm wondering if I'd be throwing money into the wind repairing. My '03 Ion has been a perfect little car (excluding all of the times it wouldn't start because of the key situation) The only thing that needed to be replaced was a battery, tires, and a new gas cap. But now it needs new tires again (understandable) and I'm not sure why it: 1. Idles rough, may need engine mounts? Engine pulley and/or belt? or elect fan? 2 Ft end Clunks! may need shocks/struts or control arm bushings? 3. rear brakes squeal, they are in good condition but may need drums turned and ceramic pads?
Has anyone had any of these problems? Are they worth fixing?
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-05-2016, 12:55 AM
Default 03 Ion idles like a truck!

Mechanics say nothing is wrong but my 03 Ion idles like a truck. I'm thinking it could be engine mounts, belts and pulleys or the electric fan. Unpluging the fan fuse seemed to help some but did not take away all of the noise/vibration. Anyone else have experience with this?

Old 03-05-2016, 12:59 AM
Default super loud squeaky Rear brakes

Anyone have experience with super loud squeaky rear brakes? This just happens after sitting for a while and does not need new pads but I'm thinking ceramic shoes and newly trued drums would help.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

how many miles?
Which tranny in car (CVT, Auto, Manual)

1) Clean throttle body (when was it last done), run some techron fuel system treatment.
2) Pretty sure clunk may b sway bar bushings but don't quote me
3) I hate drum brakes. Usually you turn the drums if they get out of round, though I suppose it could be a resonance

Old 03-05-2016, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Please do not ask the same question in multiple threads.
Becomes a mess to follow

I merged them all into this one thread.

Thanks

Last edited by derf; 03-05-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by TMDS
Well we are at a crossroads. I really do not have the money to put on a new car but I'm wondering if I'd be throwing money into the wind repairing. My '03 Ion has been a perfect little car (excluding all of the times it wouldn't start because of the key situation) The only thing that needed to be replaced was a battery, tires, and a new gas cap. But now it needs new tires again (understandable) and I'm not sure why it: 1. Idles rough, may need engine mounts? Engine pulley and/or belt? or elect fan? 2 Ft end Clunks! may need shocks/struts or control arm bushings? 3. rear brakes squeal, they are in good condition but may need drums turned and ceramic pads?
Has anyone had any of these problems? Are they worth fixing?
Thanks in advance!
1. If the engine mounts are bad, you can actually pop the hood and look at them to see if they're cracked. You can also look if the engine sways more than normal looking at it when it starts. If it's just a rough idle, then maybe the injectors need a good cleaning. That's a $15 bottle of Seafoam that will help it. Also cleaning out the throttle body with throttle body cleaner, another $10, will help with that. Also check to see if the sensors are clean. Also, when's the last time the oil was changed. I know my car runs rough on old/low oil.

2. Front end clunks can be a couple of things. Tie rod ends, wheel bearings, c/v joints all clunk. Turn the wheel to the outside and take a look. Look for any torn rubber boots, that's a good give away. Lift the wheel up, chock the opposite back tire. See if there is any play in the noisy wheel by rocking it up and down and left and right. If there is a little play, then it's a wheel bearing. If the strut cylinders are leaking, then it's time for new struts.

3. Brakes all wear out eventually. Drum hats can be machined and pads easily replaced. Squeal might be solved by just an adjustment.

Sometimes a visual inspection can narrow down the culprit better than just guessing form a noise. Watch some videos like Eric the Car Guy on YouTube to get some basic info on what to look for.

Also spending a couple hundred bucks in repairs on a reliable car is better than spending several thousand on a car with unknown problems that you'd have to throw more money at to fix them.

Good luck with your diagnosis and your decision!

Old 03-05-2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Please do not ask the same question in multiple threads.
Becomes a mess to follow

I merged them all into this one thread.

Thanks
Sorry, I deliberately wanted to separate the questions because most people only answer 1 question. Wont happen again.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dave4422

Good luck with your diagnosis and your decision!
Thank you Dave

Old 03-05-2016, 01:07 PM

Dave has given you some very sound and solid advice. But I like Techron over the Seafoam. I've always had good luck with it and it's less expensive. I'm a cheap bastard and have to squeeze every penny I get my hands on. I hate living it Florida. It's too expensive.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Dave has given you some very sound and solid advice. But I like Techron over the Seafoam. I've always had good luck with it and it's less expensive. I'm a cheap bastard and have to squeeze every penny I get my hands on. I hate living it Florida. It's too expensive.
thanks

Quick Reply: Buy new or repair