2008 Saturn Astra (Ion replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:04 PM

Leaving in a little while to test drive a 2008 Saturn Astra on a closed course. If anyone else has driven it, tell us your tale. I'll post my opinion after I get some track time.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 PM

Under powered needs the 2.4L option

Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 PM

The 2008 Astra was very tight and nibble for a $18000 car. Granted it's not a MINICooperS and it's not a dragster at 138 HPbut I was impressed with the way it cornered on the road course. The traveling road show had both the stick and automatic versions of the Astra and also for comparison you were able to take out on the tracka Volkswagen GTI, a Mazda, and a Honda Civic. Maybe the deck was stacked but all the other cars drove like slugs compared to the Astra. I think I'd buy it before I'd buy a Ford Focus (which I also tested). Give your local Saturn dealer a call and see if the roadshow is coming thru your town. (free eats were included and door prizes).Edited by: MINICooperS

Old 10-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Already did the Ride and Drive............the Astra is sweet cept it's under powered. My wife may like the
5door XR.

EDIT FOR TYPOEdited by: sw2cam

Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 PM

PS: did I say it was under powered........let me rephrase that. It is grossly under powered or immediately obvious thats it is under powered. With the amount of on and off freeway driving I do the car will not work out for me at all. I'll stay with my 164ft lbs of torque 175hp ION. 126 ft lbs of torque with 138hp is a "giant" step to the rears.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:30 AM

I seen an astra yesterday when i was making my appt for the ion. bought myself this cute coffee mug...that leaks appearently but its too cute, same color as my car and says saturn. I asked how come you dont have stuff that says "ion" on it, i see 'sky' and 'vue' items, why no 'ion' items? and he said "see that car you are standing next to? thats the replacement to ion's they discontinued that car" and i looked at it and my only thought was why would they discontinue such a beautiful car to make this ugly thing? it was boxy, black with silver glitter metalic paint (eww) and then he showed me another one and i'm thinking hmmm, nobody's gonna like these. i like smooth lines, sleek, curved, no angles. the astra did not impress me, in fact if the dealer had shown me that when i was looking for a car, i would not be a saturn owner right now. fact is, i traded in a contour, i was looking for another small cute car and the dealer kept trying to show me suv type vehicles which was directly opposite of what i was asking for and we drove past the ion and i said ....stop i want that car. he came up with all these reasons he thought i wouldnt want it such as "your grandkids wont fit in there" and from the suv we were driving around in, i could see 3 car seat anchors in the back. i said "who's the buyer....who's the seller, show me that car" and i now own said car. its perfect for me. the astra....ewww. just my 3 cents worth of unasked for opinions.

peepla

Old 03-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Well I own an ION and I've never once thought it was a cute car, never once thought it was a good looking car. Untill 2006 with the added quiet steel and the great Enhanced performanace package that includes the 175hp 2.4L with 165 foot pounds of torque along with the tuned suspension, ABS, and traction control I would have never bought the ION. Now we have the great looking ASTRA in both a 3door/5door and it is underpowered. I like the ASTRA both have more rear seat foot room then the ION. The ASTRA will not do well with it's large sticker, and lack of power.

EDIT: As I said above the ASTRA will not do well

Last edited by sw2cam; 09-13-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:25 PM

Geeeee look at the time and date on this post ..... As I said the asrtra will NOT SELL.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:22 PM

Well I don't think GM wanted the ASTRA to be a hit here in the states. No SEDAN, no engine options, no cup holders, no armrest, no console, no making the radio/hvac controls less awkward. The DIC is not easy to use while driving. No real improvement of gas mileage and no power to boot. GM had it in mind to close SATURN long before the ASTRA showed up. "If" GM is unable to keep the OPEL brand I can't see Vauxhall being around another tens years unless they convert to Chevrolet. GM had a good thing with SATURN but with all the in fighting at GM's Buick,Oldsmobile,Pontiac,Chevrolet divisions they let it go down the drain.

GM killed a good selling car ie the Oldsmobile when they came up with it's not your fathers Oldsmobile tag line. That told OLDS buyers it was now an embarrassment to drive one. Just another good move by GM.

Last edited by RjION; 03-19-2010 at 12:11 PM.