Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Ion (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/)
-   -   2007 Saturn ION 2 (2.2L).... (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/2007-saturn-ion-2-2-2l-10659/)

Solomon_Man 06-22-2016 12:00 PM

2007 Saturn ION 2 (2.2L)....

All,
Originally when I bought my ION from the Dealer new in 2006 they mentioned that a Verizon phone account could be added to my vehicle. It allowed hands free driving etc. I ended up taking what was supplied at the dealership ... a number with an incorrect area code. That number/arrangement has long been forgotten.

Does anybody know the requirements ($) to do this change?

Does it require OnStar/Monthly cost other than the Verizon account?

Thanks
Chris

derf 06-22-2016 03:50 PM

Verizon will neither know nor care unless you are trying to hand them money, even if they don't know what it's for.

GM surely knew but never cared -- just like the ignition switches

Find a FRIENDLY GM dealership that will go the extra mile to sort it out and all of the options available to you

Solomon_Man 06-23-2016 12:56 PM

ONStar...

All,

The Saturn dealership I bought the vehicle from was honestly not much help...even when I had issues with the vehicle (especially electronic)....I ended up having better luck with the local GM dealership. When the Saturn dealers started closing they ended up becoming a Nissan dealership and recently closed.

Is OnStar my only option for the car....I can always blue tooth adapt the stereo with an adapter....Just Curious....

I am also interested in adding XM to the vehicle as they did not have a vehicle with it at the time. I have been told the stereo is capable...I am curious should I buy an aftermarket or find a yard XM unit to utilize the stock radio.

Thanks
Chris

derf 06-24-2016 03:38 AM

ok,

It's clear no one here knows the answer.

I politely inform you of the most logical place to get all of the information you seek.

You respond with stories of 10 year old Saturn poor dealership experiences.

Why?

So basically you'd rather wait for someone to hand you the answer than help yourself and PICK UP THE PHONE and CALL GM.

Well, your prayers of getting something without doing even the slightest bit of work have been answered

Voila! The OWNER'S MANUAL. What a novel concept.
(It came free with the car!)

Here -- I even took the time to look up the answers and type them out all pretty n stuff.

NJoy
-------------
2007 Ion Owner's Manual

XM Radio

pg 195: Radio w CD (MP3)

This is the factory upgrade radio which, in the picture, shows XM presets and a CAT button. Furthermore, this section of the manual discusses XM radio.

So it appears only the factory upgrade radio and not the base radio has an XM receiver built in.

OnStar not required for XM. Source: My life

-----------------

Hands-Free Calling/OnStar

pp 129-132

Manual indicates hands free calling is through OnStar.

You could check the OnStar package that came with your vehicle.
I bet it's in the glovebox too.

Solomon_Man 06-24-2016 10:15 AM

XM Radio...

Derf,
I greatly appreciate the help!

So you understand the reason for the 10 year old story is to represent the fact that 1) My previous experience with the Saturn Dealership was poor at best...they sold the car which has been great but the service department was not. 2) That my local GM dealer, which I have very limited experience with due to my recent relocation (80 miles from the purchase point of my Saturn) has pretty much been interested more in selling me a new car than supplying me information....I have bought a few things from them for my Saturn part wise (I guess to boil it all down not all locations have great GM Dealers) 3) The Owner manual which is in my Garage somewhere which by the way is in one of about 40 boxes but with your gentle reminder I was able to locate one online now. 4) My Commute to work is ~40 miles and I am just looking to make things safer and more enjoyable in the commute.

For the record I do not have the base radio. I have the MP3/CD unit that looks identical to the one on page 195 not the one on 190. From experience taking a yard car apart once there was a small XM Radio box (similar to the ebay auction below);
XM Radio Module U2K GM Part 20883237 2010 Silverado | eBay
that had a GM Tag on it and a XM serial #. Also looking on Car-part.com this box is available for purchase from a wrecked 2007 ion at ~45 dollars... I was curious is it something I could just buy, install, and call to get subscription from XM?

I was hoping someone had experience installing XM in the non base radio.

Thanks
Chris

Solomon_Man 06-24-2016 12:07 PM

XM Radio....Dealers....

1 Attachment(s)
All,
After Derf suggestions to try dealerships...I called my three local dealerships.

Gave them my information including VIN.

1) First Dealership....Said and I quote "not sure you can get it activated even if all items are there"...So I followed with the question...is the Satellite receiver under the front dash?....Is it a separate unit?...They say yes to both the location question and it being a separate unit...They suggested I call XM.

2) Second Dealership....Little more helpful...Said no problem on reactivation we have done it in the past....but unit is actually in the trunk...between the speakers. Upon inspection I see no wiring nor unit.

3) Third Dealership....Said no problem on reactivation and its located in the proximity of the battery area near spare tire....Upon Inspection I see no wiring nor unit.

Below is my stereo receiver;

Attachment 1260

So based on the owners manual and local dealerships...I am thinking it does not all add up...

So at this point;

Does anyone have a schematic showing location of the Satellite digital receiver?

Will the VIN describe electronics?

Thanks
Chris

derf 06-26-2016 04:30 AM

try the vin decoder on this site in the Tools Menu