2004 Ion 2.2 L did not want to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 PM

I have a 2004 Ion 2.2 L Saturn. It has over 60,000 miles on it. Of course after we have just paid it off, it did not want to start this morning. I did get it started. I am looking for some trouble shooting tips.

I have noticed that in the last few months that the exhaust smelled like gas.I believe that the gas mileage has gone down also. I was starting it this morning and it was only after I continued to the gas, that it cranked up. The car had been sitting in the garage for over a day without starting. The temperature has been in the 40’s to 50’s the last couple of days. After the car was started, of course there was a strong smell of gas coming out of the exhaust with some white smoke.

We take care of the car very well, and the spark plugs have just been replaced. I am wondering if it is the fuel injectors.

Will gladly take any recommendations on where to start. Thanks

Old 01-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Banned

1) I can only hope, you did not replace the spark plugs with platinum plugs. If you did, take them out, and replace with OEM plugs.

2) The possibility is very high that your engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) is starting to go bad. Costs about $14.00usd to replace it. Use teflon tape on the threads when installing new one.

Hope that gets you back on the road ...

Old 01-19-2009, 03:42 PM

Sounds to me like the fuel lines at the pump on top of the fuel tank ..... they are leaking and when they get bad enough they suck AIR hence a hard to no start.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the quick responces. I did put in the Bosch-Platinum+2 / Spark plugs over 2 months ago. Could you tell me why the platniumcould cause this problem?I would have never guessed this. I will alsocheck the lines. I will let you know if this works in the next few days. Thanks

Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 AM

Just get those plugs out of the car and stop at your nearest SATURN retailer and get the right plugs. Stop and think about this ... your car is fuel injected, it has a throttle body in which no fuel runs though, so the idiots that told you to pump the gas have no idea what they are talking about. Pumping the gas pedel adds no gas to the injectors.

Last edited by sw2cam; 03-21-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 PM

No need to waste the money on going to the dealer for spark plugs. Any regular NGK, AC Delco or Champions for the autoparts store is fine.

The reason you shouldnt use Bosch Platinum plugs is because Bosch Platinums(like many other brands) actually have a minute center electrode surrounded by a ceramic insulator. (Have a look, only the tiny silver center portion is the conductive platinum) Saturn''s fire their plugs TWICE each four stroke cycle, once at the compression stroke, and once at the exhaust (waste spark) When it fires in the exhaust stroke, it fires "backwards" requiring that tiny center electrode to recieve spark instead of emitting it. It''s not up to the task, and misfires.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Thanks, I am going to change the plugs tomorrow. I started the car up fine this morning. Who knows, like anything, there could be a 100 different reasons why it did not start. I am going to change the plugs. I appreciate the help from everyone. Iam now educated in this part. I am going to be a big supporter of this site. Just want to keep this car running over 100,000 miles.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:12 PM

The only reason I say go to the delaer is because most of the HalfWits at parts stores have no idea how to find the right plugs for any car. So for a few bucks more you get them from the dealer, no big deal.