19bonestock88's 04 Redline BUILD:finishing somebody else's project...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 PM

Thanks for snapping me out of that... I was getting a little sad... I just keep noticing crap wrong with the car(will elaborate later), and that combined with all the negative attention from the neighbors(I love in a retirement community essentially, all my neighbors are over 45), I wasn't feeling too happy about my car...

What I need, is to get it running right again, get the dipstick held down, and go for a nice spirited drive with all the windows open(sunroof included), and remember why I love this car... Currently, it's a little fuzzy, and sometimes I halfway wish I had bought an L61 car instead of an LSJ car...

Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 AM

Alright, heres the deal.

First of all, no matter which Ion you get, its going to be a love/hate relationship.
Second, unless its an 07 l61, youre going to regret it.
Third of all, just stop.
Yes, I know thats rude. But seriously, we are all here to help each other out. I'm sure derf has learned more about these cars than he thought he would just from us.
For the last 6 months I have been contemplating selling my car. Nothing going right, cant afford to fix it, hardly ever drive it, etc.
I understand its your daily, and I understand the funds situation.
It will all fall together soon enough though. And the joy you will get from it will be an amazing feeling. I promise.

Like derf said, check the dates on the motor and tranny.
A basic socket set will change the IM gasket if you have one. I can walk you through it. Ive taken the damn thing off enough times. I actually might still have an IM gasket with like 5 miles on it, you can have it. Reusing gaskets isn't the smartest thing, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Were a family bro, we are all supposed to have each others backs. Believe me, if you were closer id have that gasket changed for yuh before you had to get up for work in the morning.

We will figure this out.

If my damn managers would just approve at least one of my vacations, id come up and help you get this right.

Last edited by goaliemo; 06-04-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:45 AM

Okay, so... I'm seriously contemplating just ordering the spacer... I knew from the beginning that I wanted one, and I don't want to have to pull the intake and blower back off in order to change to a phenolic spacer later on...

So, here come the questions-

1. Does the blower need to come off in order to remove the intake? If so, will I need a new gasket? I need to know before ordering parts...(yes I will test the gaskets with spray as soon as I buy a can)

2. Any way to not disconnect the intercooler lines during this process? I imagine it's a total PITA to evac all the air once it gets in there...

3. Any trouble disconnecting the fuel rail? Or does it need to be disconnected?

4. Is my fried intake gasket the cause of that stubborn dipstick issue? Like, boost into the PCV system, or such? Isn't the PCV valve at the base of the intake?

5. Do I need RTV? What color/kind?

I used to have a (small and basic) tool set, but over the years, it has all been lost, and now I start over from nothing, other than a couple tools heisted from work(actually I'm keeping them safe so that another shift doesn't take them)...

Probably would be a good idea to change the oil too while the intake/blower is out of the way(need to buy a 32mm socket first)

Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 AM

1. Does the blower need to come off in order to remove the intake? If so, will I need a new gasket? I need to know before ordering parts...(yes I will test the gaskets with spray as soon as I buy a can)

Yes, the blower needs to come off. As long as you don't mess up the s/c gasket, it is perfectly ok to reuse.

2. Any way to not disconnect the intercooler lines during this process? I imagine it's a total PITA to evac all the air once it gets in there...

The only coolant line that HAS to be disconnected would be the one that runs along the fuel rail, but its not a squirter.
Now, it will be a bit of a pain to pull the IM forward enough to get the spacer in without undoing the coolant lines, but the little bit of aggravation is worth saving the $15 on antifreeze.

3. Any trouble disconnecting the fuel rail? Or does it need to be disconnected?

You don't have to disconnect if being youre pulling the whole IM off.

4. Is my fried intake gasket the cause of that stubborn dipstick issue? Like, boost into the PCV system, or such? Isn't the PCV valve at the base of the intake?

Are all your vacuum lines connected correctly? Take a picture and post. It is quite possible.

5. Do I need RTV? What color/kind?

No.

As far as I remember, you will need a 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15 mm, extensions, a swivel helps but not required.
Most bolts then get replaced with a 6mm hex If I remember correctly.

Last edited by goaliemo; 06-04-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

I'm over 45 and I don't live in a "retirement community". If feel the need to, go make peace with all of your neighbors proactively so that no one will call you in for doing 95 in a 45.

2nd, how did we get from "I'm sad about the state of my car" to I'm gonna go out and spend $$$ on my car BEFORE I know why there's no boost?

DO I HAVE TO MAIL YOU A CAN OF TB CLEANER?

GO SPRAY IT DOWN

Don't buy anything until you get back boost.

As far as I know, unless you're violating the laws of physics, if you have no boost you are not pressurizing the crankcase so I do not see how an IM gasket could be causing your dipstick to shoot.

But that's just me. Im still 0/117 on answering Ion questions

Last edited by derf; 06-04-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 AM

I still haven't slept in days, derf. I am just trying to find 2 bolts right now for my damn leak.

Still not sure about the dipstick, but a blown IM gasket would cause the low to no boost issue.

Check the pcv hoses to see if theyre clogged. PCVs are also extremely common to go out on these cars.
2 ways to check to see if its a bad pcv after checking for clog.

1. Bypass valve mod
2. Plug the back hose

Check the bottom of your oil cap for me.

Just read it could also be the boost solenoid.

Last edited by goaliemo; 06-04-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by derf
I'm over 45 and I din't live in a "retirement community". If feel the need to, go make peace with all of your neighbors proactively so that no one will call you in for doing 95 in a 45.

Someone sounds cranky....NURSE!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by derf
2nd, how did we get from "I'm sad about the state of my car" to I'm gonna go out and spend $$$ on my car BEFORE I know why there's no boost?

DO I HAVE TO MAIL YOU A CAN OF TB CLEANER?

GO SPRAY IT DOWN

Don't buy anything until you get back boost.

As far as I know, unless you're violating the laws of physics, if you have no boost you are not pressurizing the crankcase so I do not see how an IM gasket could be causing your dipstick to shoot.

But that's just me. Im still 0/117 on answering Ion questions
Trust me, I plan on making sure the intake gasket is fried before buying a new one... The spacer mentioned earlier would be the same procedure, and it included two gaskets, so not an issue, other than additional cost... And you're right, at 2-3psi, I'm sure as hell not pressurizing anything
Originally Posted by goaliemo
Still not sure about the dipstick, but a blown IM gasket would cause the low to no boost issue.

Check the pcv hoses to see if theyre clogged. PCVs are also extremely common to go out on these cars.
2 ways to check to see if its a bad pcv after checking for clog.

1. Bypass valve mod
2. Plug the back hose

Check the bottom of your oil cap for me.

Just read it could also be the boost solenoid.
Not sure about bypass valve mod...

Plug the PCV running from the valve cover?

What am I looking for under the oil cap?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

I wholeheartedly agree that a leaky IM will hose boost. I never indicated otherwise. I indicated that without boost the crankcase should not be building up pressure sufficient to blow out the stick -- all other things functioning properly. If the PCV is clogged, then there is no means of relieving the pressure within the system.

Also, from the VERY limited reading I did,

Answering your questions about By-Pass Valves. : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

it is suggested that installing a bypass valve is mandatory for relief of pressurized air if you are running above 7psi to avoid the supercharger trying REALLY hard to jam air into the engine during the moments it's not able to take it in (when all intake valves are closed e.g.).

The bypass mod doesn't sound like a mod to me, it sounds like a requirement if you're gonna run at 7psi or higher boost.

That being said, overpressurizing IM gasket from lack of intake pressure release could be at work here......

Oh, and will you two stop making me learn stuff at such a pace?
My head hurts.

And I'm not cranky. You two ankle-nippers need to be more respectful of your elders

Old 06-04-2015, 03:20 PM

Yes, pull the hose off the back of the pcv, and plug it with a golf tee or something.
Check to see if under the oil cap looks milky, that would be a bad ring/piston.
Bypass "mod" is not a must. I don't have it done. I just have a messed up throttle body.
You might just need an oil cap breather if it isn't the pcv. A lot of people have done that, and it worked. But again, check the pcv. Its free to check.

Derf, youre going to end up selling your s cars for an ion soon. I see it coming.
Don't make me start calling you grandpa!

Quick Reply: 19bonestock88's 04 Redline BUILD:finishing somebody else's project...