Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Ion (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/)
-   -   19bonestock88’s 2004 ION-2 sedan “Green Line” BUILD (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/19bonestock88%92s-2004-ion-2-sedan-%93green-line%94-build-11436/)

Rubehayseed 09-09-2018 12:04 PM

I just changed the oil in my Kia this morning, Bones. I now have a nice oil stain on my driveway too. Oil filter was hot and I dropped it when I spun it off.

derf 09-09-2018 07:42 PM

I change my oil inside a 10' radius modified kiddie pool to prevent such events.

By the way, how do I get residuals from engine degreasing out of concrete? I did not rinse it thoroughly and my garage smells of it. Yes, I pulled the car out, no it is not the car.
I figured brake cleaner would dissolve any petroleum based grime on the cement and evaporate quickly so I applied that liberally. I have a center floor drain which I cleaned all the solid pieces of junk that had absorbed the smelly stuff out of. There seems to be a layer of oil based stuff floating on the top of the water in the pipe. I've dumped 3 gallon buckets of water down it quickly trying to push that layer down past the trap with head pressure but to no avail.

Do I put a power washer down in the drain and literally blast away the oily layer, or do I fill the pipe with an overlayer of dawn dish soap to break up the oil and make it easier to be carried away with rinsing. I'd much prefer getting rid of the stench than just covering it up, only to appear at a later date.

No more oil leak in the garage. Nailed the cam cover gasket first time. No, not all that difficult at all a task, but one I had never undertaken so new for me. No leaks at the T joints. Yet

19bonestock88 09-09-2018 11:56 PM

I’m not sure how to get out the stains, now I have to clean up trans fluid from my garage from changing the trans cooler line on wifeys car

derf 09-10-2018 11:14 AM

That stuff once used reeks.and lingers.

Please let us know what kills the smell.

Rubehayseed 09-11-2018 10:11 AM

Have you tried baking soda, derf? IDK, but it MIGHT work and is environmentally friendly.

19bonestock88 09-11-2018 04:34 PM

Got a question for you guys to ponder... I’m experimenting with a power steering delete... now since the car has electric power steering I’m not expecting a big gain in mileage, but instead I’m hoping for a consistency of steering feel... (almost) every time I kill the engine the power steering turns off, which is expected, except it takes a random amount of time (1-5 sec) for it to turn off, and if it happens during a curve the sudden change in steering effort makes the car twitch in the middle of the curve...

disabling the steering assist is as easy as unplugging the power connector for the steering motor, but not surprisingly, the car now continually shows a “PWR STR” message in the info center...

my question is: how can I fool the car into thinking the steering motor is connected and get rid of the chime every few min, and not have to clear the error message each time I cycle the key?

02 LW300 09-12-2018 12:45 AM

Why don’t you kill the engine differently? If you turn off the engine an immediately turn the key back on does the power steering work? I have seen kill switches installed that interupt the injector power on ecomodder.

19bonestock88 09-12-2018 01:46 AM

When I turn the key off I have to keep it off for a few seconds for the engine to actually stop, otherwise it will recover from stall...

Maybe if I wired up an injector kill and could avoid cycling the key id get more predictable PS behavior... of course, using electric PS during EOC could end up in a dead battery, so I’m still leaning toward a full delete once I figure out how to fool the car into thinking the PS motor is still there...

the only time time I even close to miss the PS is under 10mph, and I think that swapping to the larger diameter 05-07 steering wheel would help with that

derf 09-15-2018 01:29 PM

Measure the resistance of the motor windings. Calculate the Power dissipated P from P=IV same as P=I*I R.

THen get a huge honking Wirewound resistor encased in a massive nonceramic heatsink, and swap them out.
One of the pins in the connector has to be ground. another has to be 12V
Another is probably to ensure 12V is there and monitors the high side for voltage.

Hey, joking aside, backprobe the connector. The watchdog pin may just need to see 12V to think the PS motor is alive and well. Get a wiring diagram and check

19bonestock88 09-16-2018 09:26 AM

In the connector I disconnected there are two wires, one red (I’m guessing 12V) and one black (I’m guessing ground)... my guess is that the PSCM is looking for continuity because if it were looking for amp draw it wouldn’t pop the error message until I turned the wheel under my own power... I considered installing a jumper in the connector to test my theory...