Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Ion (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/)
-   -   03 Saturn Ion Ideas? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/03-saturn-ion-ideas-10673/)

Kasparr 06-28-2016 11:06 AM

03 Saturn Ion Ideas?

Okay guys, I just purchased my first car, a 2003 Saturn Ion, 4 door. Today. I was wondering if there was anyway I could lower it? Like, coil-overs, or something I could do. Thats basically the first thing I was interested in doing. If you all have any ideas, I'd really appreciate it!

derf 06-28-2016 01:09 PM

19Bonestock88 should be able to help you out w that.

Bones? You out there?

19bonestock88 06-28-2016 02:37 PM

I'm here...

The Saturn Ion(both the quad coupe and the sedan) share a platform with the Chevy Cobalt and HHR... Drop springs from any of the above mentioned cars should all be functionally identical...

For stiffer struts to work with the higher spring rate from a drop spring, you could get struts from an Ion Redline(suspension code FE3) or an 07-up Chevy Cobalt SS (S/C or T/C), suspension code FE5...

Note that if you want the FE5 suspension on your Ion, you can't buy "quick struts", you must buy the bare strut from the Chevy and use the upper strut mounts from your Ion for it to work...

As for coil overs, I'm not 100% certain, but a Google search with the suffix of :redlineforums.com should turn up info...

Kasparr 06-28-2016 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 (Post 55017)
I'm here...

The Saturn Ion(both the quad coupe and the sedan) share a platform with the Chevy Cobalt and HHR... Drop springs from any of the above mentioned cars should all be functionally identical...

For stiffer struts to work with the higher spring rate from a drop spring, you could get struts from an Ion Redline(suspension code FE3) or an 07-up Chevy Cobalt SS (S/C or T/C), suspension code FE5...

Note that if you want the FE5 suspension on your Ion, you can't buy "quick struts", you must buy the bare strut from the Chevy and use the upper strut mounts from your Ion for it to work...

As for coil overs, I'm not 100% certain, but a Google search with the suffix of :redlineforums.com should turn up info...

Ah, alright, would the struts from an Ion Redline be easier to do? I'm relatively new with working on other parts of a car besides an engine. And I don't want to invest in something I'm unable to do.

Kasparr 06-28-2016 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 (Post 55017)
I'm here...

And about the sharing the platform with the Cobalt and HHR. I assume that this doesn't entirely mean that all modifications that work for those cars, as well as the Quad Coupe, work the same for mine, correct? Thanks again!

19bonestock88 06-28-2016 05:02 PM

The quad coupe(also redline) is exactly the same suspension as your sedan, thus the stuff from a redline will bolt up fine... Some Cobalt suspension stuff will work (control arms are a good example, the aluminum arms from the 05-07 SS S/C are stiffer and lighter) but other stuff doesn't(upper strut mount is different and won't work on the Ion)

Dave4422 06-28-2016 09:24 PM

Did they ever sell those decorative window trim panels? I seem to remember seeing pictures of them in the debut literature. Lowering kit and leopard print! Sexy!