Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Ion (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/)
-   -   03 Ion checking trans fluid (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-ion-22/03-ion-checking-trans-fluid-10559/)

512henriksen 04-01-2016 04:27 PM

03 Ion checking trans fluid

Got a dumn question, I have an 03 Ion, when checking the trans fluid should the motor be off or running in park.

derf 04-01-2016 10:55 PM

Moved to Ion section

derf 04-01-2016 11:09 PM

motor should be at operating temp, then shifted slowly through the different gears and returned to PARK.

Then check the level

scoffman 04-08-2016 07:17 AM

No dipstick on these so you have to check by pulling the overfill plug. The transmission needs to be at normal operating temperature. The car should be raised and level. when checking and/or adding fluid the engine needs to be running. Run the transmission through all the gear selections slowly. If/when fluid starts coming out of the overflow port you have enough fluid in the transmission. MAKE SURE THE CAR IS RAISED AND LEVEL WHEN DOING THIS.

derf 04-08-2016 09:29 AM

why raised?

scoffman 04-09-2016 12:42 AM

so you can get under the vehicle to access the fill level plug. If you have an umpaloompa that can fit under it while sitting on its tire that will work too.

derf 04-09-2016 02:11 AM

hey,

Goalie is half umpaloompa and he will not take kindly to your vicious insensitive remark. That is if he ever comes back to the board

I knew the answer--just wanted to see how sarcastic your response was.

You did not disappoint.

512henriksen 04-09-2016 09:42 AM

There is a dipstick. Its down toward the front of the trans, its held in with a bolt.

Anybody ever used the lucas trans fix in one of these.

scoffman 04-09-2016 09:47 AM

no problem glad I didn't disappoint. If Goalie is half umpaloompa do you think he can score some of those golden chocolate eggs?

scoffman 04-09-2016 09:54 AM

Oh sorry here is the proper procedure for the ION with the AF23-5 automatic transmission:
Park the vehicle on a flat level surface.

Confirm that the ATF temperature is at normal operating range of 60–70°C (140–158°F).

NOTE
Important

ATF level increases as it heats up. Therefore, inspect the ATF level at its normal operating temperature, on a flat level surface, to ensure accuracy.

With the engine at a base idle, apply the service brakes and then slowly move the automatic transmission gearshift selector through all ranges, returning to the PARK position.

Remove the fluid level indicator and wipe the fluid level indicator with a clean, lint free cloth. Reinsert the fluid level indicator into the fluid level indicator tube making sure that the fluid level indicator is fully seated into the fluid level indicator tube.

Remove the fluid level indicator and verify that the ATF level is within the "HOT" level markings as indicated on the fluid level indicator.

NOTE
Important

If the AFT level on the fluid level indicator is different from front to back when inspecting, add or remove ATF until the lower of the two readings is within the correct level.

Adjust the ATF level as necessary, by adding or draining ATF, in order to obtain the desired reading in the "HOT" range on the fluid level indicator.

scoffman 04-09-2016 09:57 AM

Here's the procedure if your ION has the VT25-E transmission:

nstall a scan tool.

Start the engine.

Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever from PARK to REVERSE for 10 seconds.

Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever from REVERSE to DRIVE for 10 seconds.

Move the shift lever back to PARK. The engine should remain running.

Remove the plug from the center of the fluid fill lower tube. The fluid fill lower tube is located on the bottom of the unit.

NOTE
Important

Do not use ATF P/N 21005966 or P/N 21019223. These fluids are not compatible with this transmission.

Use Saturn DEX-CVT® Fluid P/N 22688912.

If fluid drains down as a steady stream from the opening, wait for it to stop. If fluid does not drain from the opening, add more fluid until it starts to drain as a steady stream, then stop adding fluid immediately. Allow fluid to drain until the fluid stream stops.

NOTE
Important

The normal use color for DEX-CVT® fluid is green or light brown. Fluid may also turn dark brown from normal use, and does not always indicate contamination. Fluid that is very dark or black and has a burnt odor usually indicates contamination or over heating.

Inspect the fluid color.

Inspect the fluid for metal or other debris which may indicate transaxle damage.

Inspect the fluid for a cloudy or milky appearance which may indicate engine coolant contamination.

Replace the plug.
Tighten the plug to 11 N·m (97 lb in).

On the scan tool, observe the Trans. Fluid Temp. and record the temperature.

If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 20°C (68°F), add 0.50 qt (0.47 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.

If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 40°C (104°F), add 0.75 qt (0.71 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.

If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 60°C (140°F), add 1 qt (0.95 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.

If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 80°C (176°F), add 1.25 qt (1.18 liters) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.

512henriksen 04-09-2016 11:26 AM

It has the Aisin AF-23, looks like the fluid is spot on.

My trans is shifting hard between 2-3 and 3-4. I've had cars do this in the past and its just been a sticky valve, pour in some Lucas tranny fix and problem solved.

Lucas claims there trans fix is compatible with all trans fluids, has anybody ever used this in one of these trans??

goaliemo 04-14-2016 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by scoffman (Post 54188)
no problem glad I didn't disappoint. If Goalie is half umpaloompa do you think he can score some of those golden chocolate eggs?

I sure can, I don't like to disappoint either.

Tell yuh what, keep up with my ion in that l-series, and you can have golden chocolate eggs for life!!

I'll even be nice and use my 03 ;)

derf 04-14-2016 10:42 AM

I have no nor do I own an Ion, t, but since Goalie won't answer you, my best guess is that as long as it is NOT the CVT (completely valueless transwannabe), you should be fine.

Nothing terribly exotic about the AF23 that I know of

One of its best points is that it is not the CVT

scoffman 04-25-2016 09:32 AM

I use Lucas in my 700R4 on my Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. It allows her to shift a little more smoothly with out the hesitation I was getting between the 2-3 up-shift. I'm trying to prolong the life of her transmission for as long as I can. She currently has 199,120 miles on her. Lockup is gone after she reaches normal operating temperatures. Guess I'll be rebuilding it next year sometime. I wish I could turn her into a Garage Queen but she's my daily driver. She's just to darn comfortable to stop driving.

derf 04-25-2016 09:51 AM

Why not add her to your Sig?

tooter1 04-28-2016 09:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dipstick in front of trans and down low. Held in by 12mm bolt.

Proper place to fill is on top 8mm Allen head.

derf 04-29-2016 04:09 AM

Nice pix.

1 pic = 1K words

Gsicwitit 09-05-2020 05:04 PM

checking transmisdion fluid

I have a 2006 saturn ion coupe 2.4L how do I check the transmission fluid

William Beauchemin 01-15-2021 11:45 AM

cold, do you have a owner's manual? It's in there. Before you add any fluid, you need to understand there is different kinds of Transmission fluid used in the Saturn Ion. The 5 speed automatic CVT2/M75 Takes T-IV Transmission fluid. Different fluids have certain frictions added to it to perform certain ways.