Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Aura (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-aura-34/)
-   -   Whine (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-aura-34/whine-11461/)

Quickcasey 09-12-2018 04:13 PM

Whine

Hi, it's been awhile.

Had many months of trouble-free motoring in my 2008 Aura XR.
Now the transmission is quietly whining on deceleration. It seems to be damp around where some electronics go in near the valve-body. So it looks black and fuzzy where some fluid has leaked out. I added about a pint to it according to the dipstick.Fluid level now okay, still have the whine.
Now what?

Oh yes, the the turn signals no longer cancel as of two days ago.

Otherwise I can't complain.

19bonestock88 09-14-2018 10:27 AM

Change the fluid in the trans to begin with. From what I’ve read, most honing isn’t a common 6T70 issue... does it shift okay, give normal fuel mileage?

Quickcasey 09-14-2018 11:21 AM

Mileage seems to be unchanged. The shifts seem normal except it has some harsher shifts at low speeds in stop and go traffic when a shift is about to happen, and you don't need it because you're braking or slowing.

19bonestock88 09-14-2018 11:59 AM

Has the fluid ever been changed?

derf 09-14-2018 12:05 PM

How many miles?

Quickcasey 09-14-2018 01:24 PM

The fluid has never been changed to my knowledge. I bought it used with 40,460 miles from a Mazda dealer. They said they did a 125 point inspection of it, it had new tires, Don't recall them saying they changed any fluids.

It now has 72,728 miles on it. I drive like an adult, I am retired. Though I do enjoy the brisk acceleration. I'm not dead yet, you have to enjoy something.

19bonestock88 09-15-2018 09:24 AM

I’d go ahead and change the fluid and trans filter just to be safe, and if the noise persists try and diagnose from there

Quickcasey 09-15-2018 09:31 AM

Well, things have turned for the worse.
The Saturn's transmission decided to pack it in last night. On the tollway, it started whining loudly at 50mph. Went to surface streets. Gurgle away from the lights, Then it shifts into 3rd, and it seemed normal.Limped home. No tow, but it's unusable.

19bonestock88 09-15-2018 09:40 AM

3-5-R waveplate failure? Could still be covered under an extended warranty perhaps? Start looking for a used 6T70?

Quickcasey 09-15-2018 10:19 AM

I had an extended warranty It ended at 70k. It has nearly 73k right now.

Right now I'm not done crying into my beer. I'm moving slowly, and keeping two houses going is draining me financially. I didn't need this.

I'll revisit this a couple days from now.

Now it's time to revisit my fleet of beaters. Plymouth probably needs a new battery. Pontiac, a battery and a new radiator. Jeep is ready for action, as it always is.

Keep the comments and suggestions coming. I'm reading and thinking.

derf 09-15-2018 01:14 PM

35R wave plate failure shows up as shift flares from 3-4h and 5-6th, often accompanied by a loss of reverse. All three have to occur or the extended 10/100,00 warranty will not be honored. Often throws tranny P codes.

I'm far from a tranny guy, but I always assumed that whining came from a dying fluid pump in the tranny. Once that goes far enough down hill, not enough line pressure to switch gears or get the clutch packs to go and stay where they are supposed to stay. I believe 3rd gear is the tranny failsafe mode so it does not have to try to shift with insufficient pressure. I think the question will be whether other stuff in the tranny got wrecked in the process,

6T70's are all through the GM line. I'd definitely NOT get a 2008 or 2009 if you sourced a sed one. 2008 was the 1st year and all were built with the 35R timebomb. Don't know when they changed to the redesigned waveplate.

Some of the above may be true --some may not, especially the diagnosis, but If you were driving in 3rd and the rpms were not shooting up and returning to normal then I doubt it is the 35R issue. But don't quote me.

Rubehayseed 09-17-2018 07:10 AM

Plymouth? What type Plymouth do you have? I'm an old Mopar man.

Quickcasey 09-23-2018 12:11 PM

Charlie, I'm an old Mopar guy too.

My Plymouth is nothing too exotic. Just a '95 Neon Sport Coupe optioned with performance in mind. 5sp, 4 wheel disks, 5 bolt hubs, DOHC of course. And it's a 2 door. Fun to drive

derf 09-23-2018 08:03 PM

Any updates on the satty?

Quickcasey 09-23-2018 08:15 PM

Derf'
The Aura is still sitting on the driveway, and I'm trying to scare up some money. Retired, so I only get paid once a month. Keeping two houses afloat while I leisurely move yo the new place is draining me.Stay tuned I'll update when something happens.

When you wrote this;
"35R wave plate failure shows up as shift flares from 3-4h and 5-6th, often accompanied by a loss of reverse. All three have to occur or the extended 10/100,00 warranty will not be honored. Often throws tranny P codes."
Do I have any warranty?
The Mazda dealer gave me a 3yr/30,000 mile warranty, but that expired 2,000+ miles ago.

derf 09-23-2018 10:45 PM

Sorry.
The warranty I referenced is an extended GM warranty specifically for the 35R issue. Should have been more specific.

You can always check w the Mazda dealer about goodwill -- you never know.

Rubehayseed 09-24-2018 07:04 AM

Derf has done extensive research on the wave plate issue, Casey. If you do a search here, you'll find a LOT of information. I sure hope the place that sold it too you will do something, but don't hold your breath. Maybe try a local GM dealership and see what happens. I had a Neon several years ago. Mine had the Dodge nameplate, but still the same car. I rarely see a Plymouth of any type nowadays and got excited. One of my favorite cars that I have owned was a 64 Sport Fury. Body was beat all to hell but it would fly. I had a 383 with a four speed manual and a Carter AFT four barrel. I still miss that car sometimes.

derf 09-24-2018 04:32 PM

To be more specific, I have lived the 35R waveplate failure on a 2008 Vue XR.
Pretty sure the 6T70 is your tranny, like the Vue.
I believe the Outlook was a 6T75.

Same family, same generation, 2008 first production year. Normally I do not buy new vehicles that are 1st year of a new design but this was the exception. And guess what happened?

If it is the issue and you get the car back and it vibrates like a cheap motel bed, the transmission mount is in 90 degrees relative to the orientation it should be in. A full time tranny shop screwed that up and apparently never test drove it above 25 mph.
One of the few times I have ever screamed at a service writer in my life, as I had specifically asked him on the phone if someone had test driven it after the tranny shop before I left my house and took off work to get the vehicle. He said yes.
He lasted 3 weeks at the dealership and was canned.

Membooos 11-22-2019 06:41 AM

Change the fluid in the trans to begin with. From what I’ve read, most honing isn’t a common 6T70 issue... does it shift okay, give normal fuel mileage?

Quickcasey 11-24-2019 10:06 AM

This thread was dormant for over a year. But to answer Memboos, gas mileage did fall a bit, but no, it did not shift normally. I'm too old to remove a transmission on my driveway myself, I got the money together, and had a factory manufactured transmission installed which has a three year warranty. I try to take care of the minor things, and except for this incident the car has been nice and reliable with only minor annoyances to keep me reading the forum and occasionally asking for help.

02 LW300 11-24-2019 10:21 AM

Glad you are back to happy motoring.