Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Aura (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-aura-34/)
-   -   Radiator Change (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-aura-34/radiator-change-11503/)

stevenstrack 11-10-2018 02:37 PM

Radiator Change

I started replaceing my sons 2008 Aura radiator last night. What a pain, have to remove the bumper facia, wheel well liners, job isn't hard just takes time. I but new thermostat and hoses in as well. I like to put a little gasket sealant on the housing just as a precaution in case the thermostat seal some how leaks. My question is changing out the radiator you loose a little transmission fluid how much I don't know and this car does not have dip stick for the transmission. Does anyone know how much transmission fluid should be added?

derf 11-10-2018 04:11 PM

If you can determine which tranny it is, you can look up the proper procedure for filling the trans to the correct level.

Usually involves some permutation of getting the car up to operating temp w the car in the air and level. The level check plug is removed, as is the fill plug, and fluid is added at the fill plug until there is an ever so small amount of fluid coming out the check plug hole. I believe you need to shift through the gears somewhere along the line.

You may wish to consider a new trans fluid filter, dropping the pan, and a change of tranny fluid, not in that order, since you will have the ports open already.

I'm sure the procedure for proper filling is on the net. We don't have a lot of Aura folks on the forum so I don't believe we have it. Saturnfans.com should have it.

stevenstrack 11-10-2018 05:22 PM

Thanks, I didn’t want to do a full change, just changed oil last weekend and noticed the radiator leaking. This is my son’s car that he bought and drove from CA, didn’t realize there wasn’t a dip stick for the tranny. I guess I’ll try and just put a couple ounces in to make up for the rad replacement

02 LW300 11-10-2018 07:14 PM

That should be fine.

stevenstrack 11-12-2018 01:30 PM

So changing radiator was a pain, but I leaned how to quickly remove the bumper and wheel well liners. Bough off amazon a kit with many different size push pins which helps to have on hand ($12.00 for a 240 piece kit). Anyways the radiator, thermastat, upper and lower hoses were replaced. Took awhile to get the coolant filled up takes 9.7 quarts for the 3.5 liter. But I may not of fixed the problem because this morning I went out and had a puddle of coolant on the passenger side, not sure if this was due to overfilling the reservoir or my water pump has a leak. Anyways after jacking and removing the wheel well cover and cleaning all the greasy gunk I could not find any leak, while on jacks I ran for a little but in hindsight maybe not long enough. Took for a drive and my reservoir after heating up was about an 1 1/2 inches above the cold fill line, running the car for about 20-30 minutes my gauge stayed between the quarter and half mark....is this normal? Also, could I have put too much coolant in and is it possibly just bleeding off excessive coolant? I don't mind changing the water pump but I could not see it leaking. When I did get home after driving and popped the hood looked like I saw coolant fly off the serpentine belt but isn't running out. Sorry for the long rant but beginning to get frustrated, was hoping to give the car back to my son but afraid that I may have to change out the pump.

02 LW300 11-12-2018 03:24 PM

Coolant slinging off the belt is a classic sign of a water pump leaking while running under pressure. There is a weep hole between the seal and the bearing to save the bearing for a little while after the seal starts to leak.

stevenstrack 11-12-2018 05:18 PM

Well the water pump is what I was thinking but I didn't see a smoking gun, it appears that it might be intermittent but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't cross over seals or something else. I originally changed the radiator because I thought it was leaking above the hose but now I'm wondering if coolant was just slung up on it over a period of time. Thinking new thermostat is making it run cooler but again I'm not sure where these cars the temp gauge usually runs at.

stevenstrack 11-12-2018 05:24 PM

Could excessive fluid cause the pump to drain out through the weep hole? I'm not sure how many quarts I ended up filling the reservoir but might of had too much, where would the excess fluid go if that was the case.

02 LW300 11-12-2018 07:53 PM

If your system is overful the excess will push out past the cap. If you installed the OEM temperature thermostat you should be fine. Late model cars and trucks do not like cooler than stock thermostats, they will throw a trouble code if they do not reach normal operating temp in a preset time.

Rubehayseed 11-13-2018 07:44 AM

I'd suggest you get a pressure tester from your local Autozone, Advance or whatever is close to you and run a pressure test on the system. Be sure to test the radiator cap too. The springs loose tension over time. I'm betting that under pressure, you're going to find the water pump has a leak, like Andy suggested. You can put a deposit on the pressure tester, use it and return it and get your deposit back. That's how the "free" loaner tool deal works with these parts stores.