Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Aura (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-aura-34/)
-   -   Car won't start after running fine (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-aura-34/car-wont-start-after-running-fine-12579/)

yaazh 04-16-2022 08:04 PM

Car won't start after running fine

My car has been doing this thing where it will run fine for a couple of days and then out of nowhere will not crank.. lights but no action. tested the battery, that is fine, alternator is brand new, tested the starter and that passed. no check engine light. when it does start it starts like it normally does. I did hit a pothole nearly a month ago and it has been doing this since i hit that pothole. Looking for answers as soon as i can I am on internship and require my car.

derf 04-16-2022 11:13 PM

Sounds like the starter solenoid is not closing and engaging the starter motor.

How are you getting it started when this does happen?

Have you checked for damaged wiring?

Next time it happens, take a long pipe, rested up against the bulging bump on the starter, and whack the pipe with a hammer a few times. Give it some elbow grease.

If it works when you turn the key,, the piece inside the starter that moves the starter motor gear into the flywheel is getting hung up and not moving. Usually you cannot replace these yourself. You need to replace the starter.

Rubehayseed 04-17-2022 08:17 AM

Since you've already replaced the starter, it sounds to me like you simply have a loose wire. Disconnect the ground cable from the battery and tighten all of the connections on the starter. Of course, if you got that starter at Autozone, odds are pretty good that derf is correct about it being no good.

yaazh 04-17-2022 01:12 PM

I took the starter out to get it tested two days ago, it passed.. put it back into my car secured all the connections. car turned on only for a full day and then would not start last night. This morning tho it did turn on. These symptoms have been pretty random. I do not know how to test if it is my relays or not. Trying to DIY it the best I can due to low funds.

derf 04-17-2022 04:59 PM

Did you try what I suggested the first time it didn't start after you posted on the forum after seeing my response?

yaazh 04-17-2022 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 69070)
Did you try what I suggested the first time it didn't start after you posted on the forum after seeing my response?

Yes I have tried giving it a knock nearly every time is does not restart. the wires are not corroded and seem fine (wires don't look exposed or broken). Car has been starting every time so far today.. but I am going to assume it is only temporary.. usually works and then will randomly not when I am in a rush somewhere haha. Will probably sell this car once my internship is over but I need it to last just for the next 40 days. Could it be a fuse/relay issue?

derf 04-17-2022 07:33 PM

It could be that it was physically hung up and by doing the hammer and pipe on it, you physically freed it up.

It may happen tomorrow or never again. Only one way to find out. The fact that you had it pulled and tested and it tested okay leans towards the internal electronics being functional. Highly doubtful on the fuse since fuses are either blown or they are not. Occasionally you will have a fuse making intermittent contact but it would not behave in this matter.

If the hammer and pipe trick made it work the first time you tried it, chances are you are good to go for a while. If not, The problem will show up again. Hammer and pipe it. If it works again, you've located the issue. Usually means your starter is on the way out. My car would do exactly what you have to discussed. Never knew what was going to happen when I turned the key.

You also should check the battery voltage across the two terminals with the battery at rest several hours after driving. And the voltage show the battery when someone is turning the key to start it. Please report back with those voltages. DC volts

lrbraner 04-18-2022 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by yaazh (Post 69071)
Yes I have tried giving it a knock nearly every time is does not restart. the wires are not corroded and seem fine (wires don't look exposed or broken). Car has been starting every time so far today.. but I am going to assume it is only temporary.. usually works and then will randomly not when I am in a rush somewhere haha. Will probably sell this car once my internship is over but I need it to last just for the next 40 days. Could it be a fuse/relay issue?

Sounds like my 02 L300 when the crank position sensor was failing. Would start sometimes. Would not crank over other times.
Replaced CPS, has started every time for 3 years now

derf 04-18-2022 01:13 PM

That's rather bizarre. It's simply a sensor for the crankshaft rotation. It has no electrical or physical commonality with the components used to spin or start the engine, specifically spinning when starting.

I am not saying you are wrong, because I can't possibly ever know, but that almost sounds to me like a battery disconnect reconnect terminal self-cleaning. That's if you disconnected the battery. Or you may have made a ground have better contact.

No disrespect intended.

There are a lot of mystery fixes for issues that are side effects of us trying other things.

The important thing is that your problem was solved.

lrbraner 04-18-2022 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 69074)
That's rather bizarre. It's simply a sensor for the crankshaft rotation. It has no electrical or physical commonality with the components used to spin or start the engine, specifically spinning when starting.

I am not saying you are wrong, because I can't possibly ever know, but that almost sounds to me like a battery disconnect reconnect terminal self-cleaning. That's if you disconnected the battery. Or you may have made a ground have better contact.

No disrespect intended.

There are a lot of mystery fixes for issues that are side effects of us trying other things.

The important thing is that your problem was solved.

This no crank/no start problem was intermittent for over a year. CPS replacement fixed it.
The CPS was the only thing changed.
That's all I know