2008 Aura Pattern of Warm-Start Ignition Failure

Old 03-07-2019, 02:59 PM
Default 2008 Aura Pattern of Warm-Start Ignition Failure

I'm flummoxed! I have a 2008 Saturn Aura, and have experienced a peculiar problem that relates to the electrical (maybe) system.

First thing in the morning, when I turn the ignition on, it starts up fine. The engine turns for two or three seconds, but with this delay, it does turn on. If I turn the ignition off, and then attempt to restart the car, again it starts up fine. I have no problems with the engine staying on while idling and driving. BUT, if I wait one or two hours (or three, four..etc.), and attempt to restart the car, I can hear the engine turning for two or three seconds and then.. it just stops cold. If I give the ignition another turn, then, voila, it starts up fine. So if it has had the overnight hours to cool off, the ignition will turn the engine on the first attempt. After the engine is off for a few hours, it will not start on the first attempt, but will start on the second attempt.

The observed electrical systems (dashboard, ignition) seem to working fine. Battery is still good. This pattern has played out the the last 15 months. I have replaced the starter very recently and hope I have ruled that out. Is this an ignition switch problem? Is this a wiring problem? Have owners, mechanics experienced anything like this with their later model Saturns?

Old 03-07-2019, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Security light status when flummoxization is occurring?

Old 03-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Thanks. Whenever I turn the ignition on, and for the 1 or 2 seconds when the engine is turning, the small red engine light comes on. Once the engine is on and idling, that red engine light goes away. This happens when the ignition is successful in turning the engine on, and it happens when the ignition cannot turn the engine as I described. So it probably doesn't have anything to do with this ignition failure pattern.

Are there a short list of things that can be checked and diagnosed, so that I don't tear the engine up looking for this problem (which may be a combination of things)?