Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Astra (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-astra-32/)
-   -   need mechanic recommendation, GTA Ontario Canada (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-astra-32/need-mechanic-recommendation-gta-ontario-canada-11096/)

sagaman 10-20-2017 08:31 AM

need mechanic recommendation, GTA Ontario Canada

Hi,
My cousin has a 2008 Saturn Astra 200000km on it. He bought it a year ago with 150000km on it. We are thinking it's a good time to replace the timing belt as we don't know when it was last done.

I have also heard that it is a good idea to replace the idler pulley and the water pump as well.

So, any recommendations for good mechanics in the durham area of Ontario Canada? Oshawa, Whitby, Pickering, Ajax etc.

Also any places to get these parts would be appreciated.

Thank you

derf 10-20-2017 09:36 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds a bit high of a mileage for the timing belt. I would definitely do that ASAP. since like you said you don't know if the previous owner did it when they should have.
If it is one of those deals where the water pump is staring you in the face when you pull the timing cover, I'd probably do it so you are only ever in there once.

As far as idler pulleys go -- if this is serpentine belt run externally, I'd simply wait for it to fail. No point in fixing something that's not broken unless they are notorious for failing near your mileage. In that case I'd procure one and still wait till it fails. N
Newer is not always better.

And the difficulty in procuring parts for the Astra makes it worse. Finding a timing belt, timing cover seal, water pump (w seal) may be a trying experience in and of itself,
Do not forget to look at the uk opel astra (and I think Vauxhall) for resources (technical and parts).

As for Canadian mechanics -- can't help you there. I know you don't want to hear this, but your best bet is prob a GM related dealership -- they at least may have access to the parts across the pond, the Factory Service Manual, and have probably had a tech that worked on the 5 they've ever seen.
Any mechanic can access AllData, and most can figure out what to do. This may be a simple job -- I don't have experience with working on Astras. But in theory, the dealership gets it right the first time. $$$ yes. Keep it in the back of your mind.

For perspective, Many US GM DEALERSHIPS are refusing to work on older Saturns simply because there are no GM (AC/Delco) parts to be had and they often refuse aftermarket parts or there simply are none. Or they don't want the hassle.

Good luck, and PLEASE keep us posted whether you find one or not-- the information will be valuable to someone else.

sagaman 10-23-2017 04:07 PM

got the parts ordered

I ordered the parts from Canadian Tire for $185 plus tax. Water pump and timing belt kit. It was about $40 cheaper from ebay, but wrong parts, warrenty work would have been a nightmare. Parts should be here Thursday. My cousin recommended a mechanic in Pickering. Already talked to him, he said bring it in Friday. I'll let you know how everything turns out.