Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Astra (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-astra-32/)
-   -   aftermarket stereo in Astra (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-astra-32/aftermarket-stereo-astra-9949/)

titans4life 04-18-2015 11:14 PM

aftermarket stereo in Astra

Has anyone had any luck changing out their stock radio with an aftermarket stereo and keeping the steering wheel controls? If so please let me know what parts/harnesses and or swc interfaces you used. Thanks!

sw2cam 04-19-2015 12:52 PM

Not many Astra people roaming the internet for sure. Bet those that are have never touched the stock head unit. There has to be a way, or a kit to set everything up to work with the sterring controls. With that said Welcome to TheSaturnForum. It would be nice to have a few ASTRA owners hang out, add pictures, keep control of the ASTRA subforum.

Top right of most pages. Open the USER CP and add your first name, location, and car to your signature. Stop in the new member subforum and introduce yourself to the rest of the gang. Get TEN posts asap so your account stays alive. Once you get 25 posts send me a jpeg you'd like as your avatar and I'll get it set up.

sw2cam@yahoo.com
subject "AVATAR"
include your user name

titans4life 04-19-2015 02:16 PM

Thanks. Im sure it can be done. Just have to find the right harnesses which could be tricky from what I have read.
I will try to add some pics and my name/info also.

Rubehayseed 04-19-2015 05:09 PM

You might try contacting Crutchfield. They're very helpful.

titans4life 04-23-2015 09:09 AM

I have been talking to the company connects2 extensively over the last week or so. I believe I have all of the part numbers to order what I need to replace the stock CDC40 head unit to aftermarket. In my case it is the JVC KW-R910BT. If anyone is interested, here are the part numbers. I have to order from the UK but they are from Ebay.

CTSOP002.2 (steering wheel interface to keep controls)
CTJVC2LEAD (to go from the CTSOP002.2 to the JVC head unit)
CT20UV03 (goes from CTSOP002.2 to the wiring harness supplied with the JVC)

Note: the CTJVC2LEAD is brand-specific so if you are using a Pioneer head unit it would be CTPIONEERLEAD...

You can go to Car Audio Accessory Manufacturer and check it out. They are all "plug-n-play" so no cutting and splicing. I will be ordering all of the parts tomorrow (2 week delivery from UK :( but I will post how it all works out when I'm done.

derf 04-23-2015 09:30 AM

cool. Thanks for the update.
we will sticky it when you report back

titans4life 04-23-2015 09:36 AM

Good deal. I also made a photo album in the Gallery and posted a few pics of my daughters new "ride".....she loves it!

derf 04-23-2015 09:51 AM

post em out here, 1 per post, to get your post count up to 10 to keep your account activated ASAP. Also, please go up to your name in the top right of the screen, select userCP from the dropdown, select edit signature from the left side of the page and config a sig that looks like ours

titans4life 04-23-2015 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My daughters 2008 Astra

titans4life 04-23-2015 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another pic.

titans4life 04-23-2015 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And 1 more.

titans4life 04-23-2015 10:04 AM

I think I edited my signature right....

titans4life 04-23-2015 10:05 AM

Looks like it...lol

Rubehayseed 04-23-2015 10:14 PM

Actually, as far as editing your name, we'd actually prefer your first name. You know, like mine is Charlie, not Rube! LOL Anyway, I'm sure you get the gist.

derf 04-24-2015 02:50 AM

Even mine is in there -- Derf is Fred backwards

titans4life 04-24-2015 06:47 AM

OK, Got it......I'm learnin :)

Rubehayseed 04-24-2015 09:40 AM

Fred backwards is the Gods honest truth too! LMAO

derf 04-24-2015 09:58 AM

[Threadjack]
I do not like Green Eggs and Ham...Sam I Am...

Did you guys ever see the SNL skit with Jesse Jackson doing a dramatic reading of this Dr. Seuss classic? Finally dug up the full version

http://www.hulu.com/watch/279052

Stonefaced until near the end. You don't have share his beliefs to get a laugh out of this.....back when people in positions of social or political power could put down the artillery and battle shields once in a while and have a little fun

[/Threadjack]

Keeping that little thing moving down the road, no?
Any major issues along the way?
Astra owners on our forum are few and far between so we like to prod n pick at you folks to learn about them in that hope that we may help others down the line.....

titans4life 04-27-2015 09:45 AM

I have seen that skit a few times. It is pretty funny for sure! I have had the car about 3 weeks. I had to replace the evac purge valve to correct the issue with the car not wanting to start after filling up with gas. Other than that it's been fine. Got all the parts on order the change out the stereo. We'll see how that goes.

derf 04-27-2015 11:24 AM

sounds good. Please keep us posted.

Not sure how much work you do on cars, but Rockauto.com is a great place to shop for parts. Don't quote me on that for Astra-specific parts (many may be GM only) but they sell for the most part high quality parts at great prices. It's up to you to decide what level of quality you want.......

titans4life 04-27-2015 11:41 AM

Actually I got the part from Amazon...it was OEM GM part and half the cost of anywhere else I looked but I will make a note of it....BTW, I do about .0001% work on cars...lol. With the help of the forums and google I was able to figure this one out and had it done in 10 minutes.

titans4life 04-27-2015 11:46 AM

Here is the link to the part. Sounds like every Astra owner will need it at some point.

derf 04-27-2015 09:29 PM

Thanks for the link (with brand and part number!).

Good to have for future Astra owners passing through.

I'll probably have to split this into two threads to sticky just the stereo part when we're all done.......

titans4life 05-14-2015 06:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I installed my daughters stereo yesterday in her 2008 Astra using the components I mentioned earlier and it was a complete success. Only took about 45 minutes to swap out and everything functions just like it did with the stock radio. Kept all steering wheel controls. Works perfectly. Worst part was waiting 2 weeks to get the harnesses from the UK....lol

derf 05-14-2015 08:12 AM

Awesome! Glad to hear and good to know.
What was the first tune you listened to with the new setup installed? (song and band)

Nagromvw 08-09-2015 03:11 PM

How did you connect the CTSOP002.2 adapter to the ct20uv03 universal iso lead?

The connections are both female... Thanks!

Originally Posted by titans4life (Post 47726)
I have been talking to the company connects2 extensively over the last week or so. I believe I have all of the part numbers to order what I need to replace the stock CDC40 head unit to aftermarket. In my case it is the JVC KW-R910BT. If anyone is interested, here are the part numbers. I have to order from the UK but they are from Ebay.

Note: the CTJVC2LEAD is brand-specific so if you are using a Pioneer head unit it would be CTPIONEERLEAD...

You can go to Car Audio Accessory Manufacturer and check it out. They are all "plug-n-play" so no cutting and splicing. I will be ordering all of the parts tomorrow (2 week delivery from UK :( but I will post how it all works out when I'm done.

derf 08-10-2015 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by titans4life (Post 47726)

So you went to the site above to build yours?

And there are adapters for adapters for adapters........