Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn 3 Door Coupes (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/)
-   -   where are transmission mounts at? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/where-transmission-mounts-7384/)

john doe 01-04-2013 04:00 PM

where are transmission mounts at?

got a 2002 sc2 and lately the 1-2 shift seems different .feels like it might need a trans mount maybe .
where is this mount?the only visable mount i see is on the passenger side up top and that one looks good .

use to me a smooth shift from 1 to 2 but now it seems like when it shifts the car kinda "rocks" i wanna say .not sure any other way to describe it .
like theres a loose something .

just need to know location of any and all mounts so i can check them .

thank you

OceanArcher 01-04-2013 06:56 PM

Swing by your local AutoZone (O'Reileys, Pep Boys, whatever) and pick up the Saturn Repair Manual for your car (it'll cost about $25). There are pictures in there that show the location of the mounts far better than I can describe with words, and besides, if you are planning on working on your car, you'll need it anyway.

john doe 01-04-2013 07:17 PM

i will have my mechanic do it ,but if i know ahead of time what it needs i can pick it up and he just charges me labor then .

RjION 01-04-2013 11:05 PM

Do you know what a bad mount looks like on the top of the passenger side?

john doe 01-05-2013 07:35 AM

yep pretty sure i do ,but i will give it richpin`s pen test today and verify .
this rocking motion feels like a trans mount to me .car gets inspected this month so i`d like to know whats what before sending it in .
f it wasnt so darn cold n windy here i`d tear into it and see but my only recourse is working outdoors and its way to cold .

sw2cam 01-05-2013 11:10 AM

Have someone run the car from drive to reverse and see how it reacts after you see if a pencil fits between the metal strap and rubber. Rubber cracked and rotten. Talking about the TOP mount.

john doe 01-06-2013 07:59 AM

checked the top mount and although it looks good and not cracked or rotted a pen slid right in between the rubber and top of the mount .i know where all the mounts are now also .i still believe the trans mount needs replacing too .hard to see it fully without removing tire and splash shield .
car has 97,000 on it now engine bay is clean .

RjION 01-06-2013 11:56 AM

Pens come in all shapes and sizes......thats why a standard #2 pencil is the best test. If the #2 pencil fits snug your good. Fits sloppy, very sloppy, real sloppy well then you have something going on that you want to repair.

john doe 01-06-2013 09:55 PM

the pen used had more width than a #2 pencil and it slid right in .

RjION 01-07-2013 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by john doe (Post 34438)
the pen used had more width than a #2 pencil and it slid right in .

Like I said .....................