Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Default Need Help

I have just gotten a 1996 Saturn SC2 5 speed running. I changed the head, put a new shift bushing. Well any way it runs great, except when I drive it and then shut it down. When I get back in to drive again with-in 30 minute window. I turn the key over, listen for the fuel pump to stop pumping, all dash board lights come on. Then it won't fire or even click is feels dead, except the lights work. I keep the key turned on, put it in nuetral then I push it then it will start. My dad is confused because it sounds like the starter, but I'm not doing anything to the starter because it's in nuetral. Then he thinks it might be the ignition switch. I would like to know if any one can help with this issue. I am tierd of pushing this car. Other than that it's a great car.

Last edited by Tammy Townsend; 04-03-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 PM

Tammy, I'd consider that your father may be on the right track. Starters can work intermittently. Take a good look at your wiring and connections between the starter, battery and grounds. If you have any oil leaks, there is a possibility that some wires have deteriorated--which may result in an intermittent "no-start." Also, the old-timers would take a hammer and knock the starter casing (don't do it so hard that you create a new problem)--if the starter motor is sticking on certain positions, the hammer trick will usually free it up, but make sure someone is turning the key in the "run" position while this is being done. Of course, check your battery before you do any of these things. If the problem still exist, pull the starter and have a shop or parts store bench test it.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 PM

O.K., mines an automatic and although I have driven a standard have not for years. Isn't there a switch with the clutch or something like that?
Such as the clutch has to be pressed for it to to cause the starter to work?
I don't remember. But have had that as a problem too on other cars. An intermitten started can be a booker to diagnose but an intermittent clutch safety switch can drive you nuts too.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:35 AM

The clutch safety switch can be a problem, and should probably be checked after a full starting/charging system is tested. If the clutch switch is the problem, a simple fix for that is to cut the switch out, and sodder and insulate the wire--of course, you may just want to install a new switch.