Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Resurrecting the 95 SC2

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default Resurrecting the 95 SC2

I'm tired of watching the 95 SC2 I gave to my nephew sit and collect dirt, tree sap, and the occasional rodent in winter. I'm going down there this weekend to Ohio near Wheeling to take inventory of what needs to be done to put the car back on the road. A battery and brakes and rotors all around are mandatory. I need to redo the headliner and find someone to redo the fabric inserts on the doors as I hosed them badly when I tried years ago. I want to try to do the timing adjustment for the experience and for the thing to idle properly. It needs a cam cover gasket but there is no point in doing that if I am going to do the timing. I don't think it is burning oil but it is losing like the black car started to do when the cam cover gasket went way bad on the 97.

Aside: .The 97 cam cover gasket that I redid does not leak a drop of oil. I cannot believe how much was oozing out of there after the seal being bad for so many years to let loose like that and cause oil to appear in so many places on the Block. It's all quite logical if you don't let yourself be persuaded buy your own creativity to search for answers to questions that don't really exist. I'm assuming it was the PCV valve that's stuck and increased the crankcase pressure enough to blow out the rest of the seal. Lesson learned.

Anyway I may need new tires on the 95 which sucks because the ones on there have about 40,000 miles left each. I can't tell if they are flat-spotted because the rotor rust is so thick it's hitting the pads so I have to drive it for 10 to 15 miles for that to get worn off or gouge the pads however you look at it. And then I still can't tell. Yes I can put it on a lift and spin them but the car is not registered or insured so I'd have to trailer it up to my friend's place that has a lift and that is a pain in the ***. I'd like to keep the number a favors I ask for to a minimum. Plus once it gets up there I either do all the work at once or over a weekend or tow it back down to the place in Ohio. I am not allowed to have it in my driveway in PA from more than 5 days unregistered and uninspected. Got to love HOAs. Oh one of the rear calipers is bad and the E brake doesn't work right and it will barely hold the car in neutral from Rolling so it will fail inspection. I hope I have not stretched out the e-brake cable to the other side by having it super tight in order to slow down the car if necessary. I also need to rebulb the dash And re bulb the fog light radio and AC lights.

If you can think of anything else I need to do please let me know. Oh steam clean the carpet.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 AM

Sounds like an awesome winter project for someone without a garage to work on it in. Being facetious. I sure hope you work fast because you won't be able to work on it much longer with winter RAPIDLY approaching. I have nice weather here all winter long. Send me the car and the parts and I can do as much as I possibly can for you. It won't be in a garage, but I do have a paved driveway. Can't get anything in the garage anymore since I have a TON of crap from the mother-in-laws house stacked in there now. I hate when people die and leave you holding the bag. Doesn't seem like just 2 weeks ago yesterday. Seems like months ago.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:39 PM

I’ve got a garage in which you could have the work done on the car, lol

i don’t charge dealership rates either...