Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Power Window question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:44 AM

I've got a '97 SC2 coupe (I also posted this in the S Series Sedan forum since my SC2 coupe only has 2 doors).

Anyway, the power windows work - most of the time.

However, sometimes they'll go down but won't go back up again. I find if I shut the ignition off and then back on, they're okay. Except I'd really like them to work all the time.

I figure I'll lubricate the tracks, but is there anything else I should check?

Thanks,

Larry
'97 SC2

P.S. If by cross-posting, I've done something wrong, kindly let me know and I'll remove whatever post needs to go. But in any event, I'm still looking for an answer.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 AM

Start by removing the outter door panel and lubricating the tracks and gear. You also might need to remove the switch pod, open it up and clean the electrical contacts. If those two things dont work, replacement of the window regulator/motor assembly might be necessary.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

Maybe not too relevant, I've seen a VW Polo with very intermittent window/lock operation. The end result was that the wires in the rubber flex between the door and frame had weakened and mostly broken through from repeated bending. The Saturn wires seem to be more clever in that they have a vertical secion meaning the wires twist instead of bend, anyways, might be worth looking at/jiggling to see what might be happening under the rubber.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:07 PM

How do I remove the outer door panel? I've taken off lots of interior door panels, but have never removed an exterior door skin (although those cars have had regular metal door skins).

Also, are there any tricks or things I'd need to know to put it back on?

Is there any brand of lubricating fluid or grease I should use on the tracks and gear? I've found a plethora of products on the market that all sound promising.

Would the shop manual from the dealership be worthwhile getting or would a Haynes manual be just as good?

Thanks,

Larry

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Start by removing the outter door panel and lubricating the tracks and gear. You also might need to remove the switch pod, open it up and clean the electrical contacts. If those two things dont work, replacement of the window regulator/motor assembly might be necessary.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 PM

I currently do not have instructions for your particular generation coupe on my site. But you can folow the instruction I have for the earlier generations. 99% pertains to your car. The only main difference is that theres a small screw that holds the back of the outter seal strip in place.

Outer Panel Removal

Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 PM

Thanks.

Uh... that looks somewhat more complicated than taking off the inside door panel.

What are the steps for taking off the inside door panel?

Is one easier than the other?

Thanks,

Larry
I currently do not have instructions for your particular generation coupe on my site. But you can folow the instruction I have for the earlier generations. 99% pertains to your car. The only main difference is that theres a small screw that holds the back of the outter seal strip in place.

Outer Panel Removal

Old 01-19-2008, 04:45 PM

LOL taking of the outer door skin is to easy, but have it your way.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:24 PM

One isnt easier than the other. They are both extremely simple to do. Removing the inner panel will get you no where. You wont be able to see, touch or let alone lubricate or service the regulator by removing the inner panel.

You will have to remove both panels to be able to remove the regulator assembly from the door.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the tip.

I guess this is what I get for wrenching on metal-skin cars. With those, taking off the outer door skin is somewhat more complicated. :-)

Larry

One isnt easier than the other. They are both extremely simple to do. Removing the inner panel will get you no where. You wont be able to see, touch or let alone lubricate or service the regulator by removing the inner panel.

You will have to remove both panels to be able to remove the regulator assembly from the door.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:44 PM

I had to swap out the window regulator on my moms 2002 Tahoe today. It really wants that hard, but the Saturn is wayyyyyy easier.