Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Alarm System Removal

Old 08-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Default Alarm System Removal

How's it going everybody. So I'm kinda at a last resort and figured if anybody knew how to fix my problem it would be a Saturn guru in this forum!

So here's the deal, I have a 1995 Saturn SC1 and need to disable or reset my alarm system. It's just the stock alarm that came with the car, or I'm assuming it's stock as this is just my commuter car I don't know all it's in and outs. The main reason I need my alarm reset is to be able to start my car. The alarm lights just flicker continuously as well.

I just came back from Afghan and need this baby runnin! Any help is appreciated and thank you!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Banned

Start by cleaning the cables to the battery, and make sure the battery has a full charge in it. Lots of "problems" with Saturn electronics over the years has been traced to poor connections ....

Old 08-10-2013, 02:44 PM

OceanArcher,
Thanks for your input. However, terminals are new, along with battery, starter, alternator, etc. I take very good care of my vehicles. I've just narrowed it down to disabling my alarm and can't figure it out.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

NOTE! These instructions will only work for "S" Series cars built BEFORE 2000. If you have an "L", ION, or VUE, or 00'-02' "S" Series, you MUST go to the dealer to have Key Fobs programmed.

Remote RKE Key fob and option programming for "S" series cars built up to 1999 with Factory OEM Keyless Entry.

NOTE:ALL remotes MUST be programmed at the SAME TIME

Find the Diag connector to the left of the column attached to the dash below the steering wheel. (The thing a scan tool plugs into)
You will see two rows of little sockets or pins. Counting from left to right, TOP ROW, Jumper pins 4 and 8 (a paper clip bent into a "U" works well for this) .
The door locks should cycle and trunk pop open.
Depress lock and unlock button AT THE SAME TIME on the remote you want to program until locks cycle again. (This can take up to 1 minute)

If you have more than one remote, you will need to reprogram it at the same time. You do this by pressing the lock unlock buttons at the same time on EACH remote within 5 seconds of the other one acknowleding programing as described above. Every time you program a remote it clears the memory of ALL remotes. On the 97'-99' cars you can also program some handy options (like whether the horn chirps on "ARM" or you can even enable or disable the OEM alarm altogether.) Get the remotes programmed and working first, if you want to make any changes after that, SEE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW

NOTE: If the programming does not work on one remote, remove the rear cover on the remote and clean the battery contact areas, check or change the battery and try again. Most often it is just a bad battery or dirty battery contacts on the remotes themselves that cause problem. Keep in mind you MUST program ALL remotes at the same time, each and every time.

Saturn "S" Series RKE and Security system OPTIONS programming up to 1999

Options are how the CAR will react when commanded by ANY remote programed and working for the CAR. You DO NOT need to reprogram a functional remote to change the options!

With the #4 and #8 pins jumpered, as described in the remote programing instructions above, you program the options by "cycling" (turning to ON and then back OFF) the ignition key a specific number of times as listed below.

#of key cycles
1..active.. horn enabled..alarm enabled..ign kill enabled
2..active..horn enabled..alarm enabled..ign kill disabled
3..active..horn enabled..alarm disabled..ign kill disabled
4..active..horn enabled..alarm enabled..ign kill enabled.
5..passive..horn enabled..alarm enabled..ign kill disabled
6..passive..horn enabled..alarm enabled..ign kill enabled
11..no horn sound.. all parts of security system disabled.. Will just lock and unlock vehicle

"Horn enabled" means horn will sound on on second press of lock button on remote in active or passive mode.

"Passive mode" will arm alarm after 1 minute. It will NOT automatically lock doors.

"Active mode" requires the use of the remote OR PDL door lock switch on the inside of the car (by pressing "LOCK" TWICE and then closing the door) to arm the security system, it will not self arm after 1 minute.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Where is said light?

Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 AM

OceanArcher,
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I no longer have the remotes for the alarm. They got old and pretty much just fell apart...so I'm not sure if those instructions you provided would still work??

Sw2cam,
The alarm light is located on the center console between the shifter and cigarette lighter.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:21 AM

Hopefully what Ocean Archer posted will get you going. I just want to say welcome home and thank you for your service. I appreciate your sacrifice.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by shock93vr4
OceanArcher,
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I no longer have the remotes for the alarm. They got old and pretty much just fell apart...so I'm not sure if those instructions you provided would still work??

Sw2cam,
The alarm light is located on the center console between the shifter and cigarette lighter.
That means the car has an aftermarket alarm. Wired any way the installer wanted to wire it. Follow all leads and disconnect making sure to repair anything the installer cut or messed up.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Banned

Ayup --

SW2cam is right, and I missed that tidbit of information. Sorry about that.

My info was geared strictly for a factory/OEM installation. Might have to tear the dash apart, just to locate where the control box is located. When you find it, look for labels/stickers that identify the manufacturer, then let your fingers do the walking across the keyboard, and see what information you can obtain from any web pages that reference the model or the builder. Might even get lucky and find a manual

Old 08-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Ya the alarm seemed stock to me considering the age and wiring of it. But I'm glad you guys cleared it up for me. Thank you for all your help and I'll get to taking it apart ASAP!