Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Front end vibration 63mph+. through steering column

Old 11-13-2016, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

If you can fit a #2 pencil betw the upper metal part of the mount and the rubber below it, it is shot. I discovered this during my journey. BUY AN OEM MOUNT. I'll only say it once.

Can't feel the engine running at idle. And the vibration level in the steering wheel is about 85% reduced.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:50 AM

CV joints amazingly enough take quite a beating on a front wheel drive car. And thinking about that and owning more than a few that I have put way over 100,000 miles on I have had next to no problems with them. But, and there is always a butt! When they have gone out, I have noticed it mostly in taking turns. A thumping sound from the front end.
Which side was bad was usually able to be felt with thumping on the floor. I can't remember a vibration going up hills, but I have not had a CV joint go out in about 7 or 8 years. Don't remember too much on them now.
The are not hard to change, but it takes work. Worse if the front end is rusty.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:32 AM

Now that you mention the thumping when turning, I do remember some car I had that was losing a CV joint and it did exactly that. I don't notice any of that with this Saturn, though, only the vibration when the car is under load. It may not be too hard of a job to change it, but I don't have much appetite for that any more. Maybe being 80 is part of that, plus the fact I don't really have a good place to do work like that now. But I will get it looked at when I can. Thanks to ya all for your help. If I don't get back here, have a blessed Thanksgiving.
Ron K

Old 11-14-2016, 06:46 AM

Simple way to check the axles is just find an empty parking lot, Ron. Turn off the radio, roll the windows down and do some figure 8 turns. If you have a bad one, you'll hear the clicking, popping or thumping in the turns. I've checked every FWD used car I've ever purchased like this since getting screwed on a Caravan once. Two days after I got it, I had to replace an axle. It would bounce at about 45mph and I thought it was a bad tire. Rotating the tires didn't help.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:03 AM

I think I hit the wrong button and lost my reply. Oh well. Anyway, that sounds like a great idea! I don't have to crawl under the car to do that. Being inside the car is a lot more fun. :-) Thanks a lot, Mr. Senior Member.
Ron K

Old 11-15-2016, 06:11 AM

You're welcome. Let us know if you discover what's going on. Or not.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:36 AM

I took the Saturn to a big parking lot and did a lot of circle and figure 8 turns and didn't even hear a whimper out of either side. Both CV joints seemed to run as smooth as butter- real butter that is, the kind that knows there was a cow around when it came into the world. heh heh
Ron K

Old 11-15-2016, 03:38 PM

Hey! There is some one older than me!

Old 11-15-2016, 08:10 PM

Is that me that's older? I hope that merits me something if it is me!

Old 11-16-2016, 07:27 AM

Well, rule out the axles and wheel bearings, Ron. I'd suspect a suspension part. sure it's in Maybe LCA bushings? Could it possibly be something in the rear suspension making the noise?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front end vibration 63mph+. through steering column