Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn 3 Door Coupes (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/)
-   -   dash and running light problem (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/dash-running-light-problem-11550/)

tap4154 07-31-2019 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Peterson (Post 62512)
I thought these sites are created for ppl who love and have questions about their saturns? So some guy joins to learn about issues with there vehicle ,,so where does one go since they don't make saturns anymore and face it GM isn't much help as they forget about these models. So now comes the dilemma,,,does this site as part of the requirement to join this forum have to be married to it or buddy buddy in order to get info on an issue? Many folks live a busy life and don't sit by their computer to monitor every min a web site, we have lives too. Now some folks might have nothing better to do than be tied to this forum 7/24 not that there's anything wrong with that, just not everyone can do that. This forum I assume was created to help folks out about their saturns by folks who have a wealth of information to share I mean what good is it to have all this information and not do anything with it? But to complain about a member who doesn't frequent the site like clock work who needs help, you offer help and then complain afterwards?? Really? My take is if you don't want to share info to help others out then why are you here offering help and then complain about it? And then be bitter in a statement to Admin that they need to PURGE an individual, get real brother. If you do not wish to share then don't comment and complain about afterwards.

I'm new here, but I think the issue is: folks here spend time and effort to help members resolve a problem, and you would expect at least a thanks, and a followup on if the solution worked long term. I'm in many other forums and gladly help others with issues I'm well-versed in, and while if they just take my solution then never come back, it's fine, it IS nice to be thanked, and to hear if the solution worked long term. In fact, that usually is how it goes.

And you don't have to be here 24/7, just check in and offer an update, and some appreciation for the effort in helping to solve your problem. Just common courtesy.

derf 08-01-2019 12:48 AM

Thank you, Tap, for that excellent summary of manners and common courtesy taught to us mainly by our dear mothers.

Nobody expects anything from anybody regarding anything. SIgn of the times.

I have not been here for 14 yrs and Rube and I have not contributed over 11,000 posts in an effort to help no one and share nothing....

You asked, we tried to help, you solved, said thank you. Totally cool - appreciate being appreciated.

I sent a followup a few weeks later to see if the prob had reoccurred or was gone for good. There was no response.

We routinely have folks that wham bam thankyou ma'am us. I have neither the time nor the energy to care.
This particular aspect of forum "ghosting" incenses Rube. Sometimes I have to listen to him on the phone whining about it.
Usually I text his wife and the two of us chat while Rube is complaining.
Tha'ts actually never happened but I might try some time. Rube's wife is good people and so is Rube

Anyway, we used to have a wicked issue around here with bot accounts signing up to the turne of 30 a week. Every so often, one of those would spam the site.
Ended up regularly sweeping the user list for bogus accts and eventually for thoroughly inactive accounts. If you decide to come back after being gone for a year, just pick a new username.
I haven't done that in over a year

It's a running joke around here.

If you hung out 24/7 you'd know that (jk...that was too easy)

It's all good. Stand down the missile silos.

Peace
Love
Derf

Rubehayseed 08-01-2019 09:07 AM

Thank you derf and Tap for the explanations of manners and thank yous and all that jazz. It doesn't actually incense me that people never follow up with a thank you or anything. I just think that it's common courtesy to let us know that all is well. IF you have the knowledge and feel like passing it on, then do so. The people that irk me are the ones that ask for help, are given it and must have followed it and they NEVER come back until they have another issue. And face it, with cars this old and now being obsolete, there's going to be MORE issues. Just keep in touch from time to time (maybe once a month), say hello, let us know how you and your Saturn are doing. What I mean by purging some people is if and when derf has the time, he should see how long it's been since someone last posted and if it's been a few months, take them off the list. Don't ban them, just remove them so if they ever come back, they'll just have to rejoin. Less people to keep track of that one and one less headache for derf. He's a busy man. I'm not the least bit worried about his infatuation with my wife. I know where she is every night! LOL

Tim Peterson 08-01-2019 09:56 AM

New here,,,It's all good. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I saw the statement (purge) kinda triggered me it being used way too often in the current climate we are living in today. It's being used to go against good ppl so I respond. That's a story for another day. I joined this site to get info and share info. Always loved the Saturn sc 3 dr coupe's not a GM fan but don't consider Saturns a true GM product. I'm learning to navigate this site (patients) needed I'll get there. Thanking someone for info is courteous I agree. Purchased this auto 2 yrs ago as a grocery getter as my trucks are not fuel sippers. Had to do many repairs on it b4 road worthy figured out many issues on my own but still need help from time to time as I do 90%of my own wrenching, research(YouTube can be a very useful tool) plus two yrs schooling auto mech back in the 70,ies,,,,dating myself. I'm mainly a Ford Truck man at heart, but I do love my 02 SC Saturn. I'll try to post in proper areas but hay I'm human until it Isn't legal in this climate we live in today. I'm a busy guy being self employed so the luxury to post all the time is indeed a luxury. This statement is considered a fresh start on this site. All stuff aside.

Rubehayseed 08-02-2019 08:19 AM

Have you had to do anything to that aggravating TAAT4 transmission yet? Seems like they have valve body or solenoid issues that can be quite a pain in the neck to deal with. I had to work on both of the SC's that I had. I was lucky enough that replacement valve bodies cured my issues. I also went to vo-tech back in the 70's but todays cars are a royal pain to work on because of the electronics. I miss the old days of carburetors and distributors! Anyhow, I'm a Mopar man at heart, but loved the Saturns because it was a stand alone company. Once GM got involved, they killed it.

Tim Peterson 08-02-2019 12:09 PM

Not yet, I've got 154k on the old girl changed granny fluid twice since I've owned it no issues I did replace the motor when I got the car it was an oil burner new one had only 17,847 miles so I went thru new engine replaced timing setup oil pump water pump gaskets etc b4 install runs great no tranny issues yet. I'm aware of the tranny issues with these cars but I'm still lucky I guess.

Rubehayseed 08-03-2019 07:34 AM

Well, since you have actually been one of the rare people that changes transmission fluid, I'd say you're doing things right. I found that the SOHC in my SC1 didn't use anywhere near as much oil as the SC2. And the SC1 had twice as many miles. It would use about a quart between 3.000 mile changes on conventional oil. I didn't use synthetic in either one of them because they were both high mileage cars when I got them and had no history on either one.

Tim Peterson 08-03-2019 07:46 AM

Several guys told me that saturn ran loose tolerances on the 1.9 might be true. Mine was a concert fogging machine had to replace it. I only had the history on the car up to 70k after that anybody's guess what may or may not been service. I'm getting ready to replace the front bearings and hub ball joints inner and outer ties. That will take care of the front end of business Planning the rears soon after. All in all I'm happy with it, think it's a sharp looking body style. I do like the DOHC 1.9 extra 25hp pretty peppie motor over the SOHC version.

Tim Peterson 08-03-2019 08:26 AM

I'm a ford truck guy, I love all the older mopars, and quit frankly their motors are on a near playing field when it comes to getting hp out of them, of course if any body studied history the Dodge boys built all of Henry's motors early on in Fords history.

Rubehayseed 08-04-2019 08:19 AM

That's true. Have fun with the Saturn. They're fun cars to drive. Can you imagine a hemi stuffed under the hood of an SC2? WOO HOOOOOO!