Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

2001 Saturn SC1 Window Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 06:18 AM
Default 2001 Saturn SC1 Window Switch

I’m just joining the forum tonight, and I notice it’s been quite some time since this section has gotten a post.

I had an oops and spilled a drink on my center console, directly on my window switch. About a week later the drivers side switch stopped rolling the window down. Of course this happened while I was on my way to work, with the window rolled all the way down, as it started to rain.

this is the most recent repair I’ve completed on my SC1. I needed a quick fix, and being reluctant to pull the interior of my door off and manually jimmy-rig the window up, I pulled the window switch out of the center console.

The assembly consists of 2 window switches, the L/R mirror adjustment, and a goofy change holder that is basically there to get crusty and disgusting. It has one connector for all of the wires. You just carefully pull the assembly up, disconnect the connector, and you’ve got yourself a window switch assembly.

There is the outer cover that comes away from the assembly, then there is another piece that covers the “guts” of the operation. Once you remove the middle piece of the assembly, you get to the actual contact points of the window switches and the mirror adjustment dial.

Mine was all gummy and sticky, so it was a pain to get it apart, and once I did, the spring mechanism for the passenger switch flew into nowhere, I never ended up finding the spring and plastic piece.

If you are able to get this assembly apart without the springs and plastic piece flying out of existence, you’re left with 4 small metal tabs, one for each side, with 8 contact points that need to meet to roll your windows down.

All I did was rough these contact points down, and clean up the metal tabs. Voila, my drivers side window rolls down again. Unfortunately, since I lost the springs and plastic piece for the passenger side, it no longer works. Luckily, this window was already rolled up, so not too big of a deal for me.

I’m selling my 2001 SC1 here soon, so I’m ordering a new window switch with all the pieces. Tomorrow I’ll go in and take step by step pictures of the removal of the assembly, then I’ll take it apart to show you the guys. Then once my new window switch arrives I’ll post some more pictures of the installation of the new assembly.

Hopefully this is helpful. I’ve never posted to a car forum with any sort of instructions or tutorial. I guess this is my way of “paying it forward” to the internet for how much information I’ve gotten with repairs over the years that helped me tremendously.

If you have any questions, please feel free. I would love to help.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome and thanks!

Old 06-26-2018, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed, welcome!

I took my switch apart and cleaned it. Luckily I did not lose any pieces. I took a bunch of pictures for a how to and then never wrote it so I appreciate you doing so.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:05 AM

Sorry for the delay. The deal on my newer Saturn ended up falling through. Such a bummer. That car was so nice and the price was so right. That, and my first born son was born last Sunday! So I’ve been doing a lot of cuddling, diaper changing, napping, and working.

Ive been pondering what to do with my current Saturn. I’m either going to go crazy with it and do the rear disc brake conversion, performance upgrades, new nice tires and rims, and maybe a paint job.

OR

I might just fix it up nice, clean it up and sell it.

Im not sure yet, but either way, the next chance I get I’m going to get some step by step pictures and some pictures of the new assembly. Possibly a video, who knows.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

It'sup to you.

If you do the writeup, please remember to include the first step as slide the switch module BACK, to disengage the front tab from under the trim. THEN use a straight edge if necessary to remove.

When I took mine apart to clean it, I didn't get all the crap off the passenger contacts so I had to take it out again. Being pissed at myself, I promptly pulled up on the module without sliding it back and broke 3/4 of the front tab off.
This on a 97Sc2 I drove off the lot in 96. Oh so embarrassing.