Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Private 'Wanted' Classifieds (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/private-wanted-classifieds-31/)
-   -   WTB: 1996-1999 SL or SL1 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/private-wanted-classifieds-31/wtb-1996-1999-sl-sl1-9729/)

Scott McElheney 10-29-2014 03:11 PM

WTB: 1996-1999 SL or SL1

I'm looking for an SL or SL1 in good condition to use as a cheep-and-cheerful commuter car. I owned a '96 SL1 for many years back in the late 90s and early 2000s. It was the best little car I ever owned. I'd still be driving it if my ex-wife hadn't totaled it. . . *sigh*

Anywho, this is what I'm looking for:
  • 96-99 SL or SL1 in good, drivable, dependable condition
  • Any exterior color
  • Tan interior preferred, but would take gray
  • Manual transmission
  • No power windows
  • Power locks okay, but would prefer non-power locks
  • Would prefer steel wheels and wheel covers over styled wheels
  • Cruise control wanted, but the lack of is not a deal breaker

I'm in the Middle Georgia area (60 miles SE of Atlanta, 45 miles NE of Macon), but would consider anything within a 300 mile radius.

Budget tops out at $3500.

If you've got something that might work, or know of an SL for sale, drop me a line and let me know. Thanks!

goaliemo 10-30-2014 12:54 AM

Those S cars go for about half that in my area. You could get a decent Ion with that around here.
I am in south east Louisiana, about 45 minutes north of New Orleans. Probably to far for you to travel though.

derf 10-30-2014 12:14 PM

yeah you shouldn't need to spend anything near that for an s car of that vintage w typical mileage. Many members have Ions here and seem to love them. As goalie said, you may you may wish to consider a newer ion - 2005 and up. Stay away from the ones w the cvt trannys. Nothing but trouble.

Someone please ring in on recommended Ion years.

goaliemo 10-30-2014 01:18 PM

If I were to get another Ion, I would want an 06/07 sports package. That's hard to come across though. But the 2.2 is pretty good.
CVT Transmission is garbage, those are in the automatics.
03/04s are known for having timing issues. Plus, you cant tune them if you want to modify.
Gas mileage is great as well. I get between 30-34 highway on my 03.
I think Rj said he gets about 40 mpg on his 07, but he can chime in to confirm.

Scott McElheney 10-30-2014 02:46 PM

I drove an Ion many moons ago when the LW2 was in the shop. I don't remember being impressed, but maybe I need to re-think.

My main goals here are 1)mileage (hince the manual vs. automatic and the SOHC engine), 2) ease of maintenance, and 3) nothing much in the way of power accessories to break. My S was a tough little bugger that was great on gas, dead simple (insofar as mid-90s cars went), and cheap to fix. How does an Ion measure up?

goaliemo 10-30-2014 10:19 PM

I have 116k on my Ion, and besides the regular oil change/tires/etc, all I had to do was a clutch at 95k. But that was also due to me learning how to drive a standard on it.
Like I said, stay away from an 03/04, and youll have less issues.
I cant think of any major issues (besides the recalls) that people have had issues with. These ecotec motors are strong, and reliable.