Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/off-topic-10/)
-   -   General comments on new technology! (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/off-topic-10/general-comments-new-technology-10362/)

uncljohn 12-13-2015 12:26 AM

Well the initial phase of being frustrated is over. I can deal with the traffic ticket in January some time (still have to check it out) The new Chrysler was interesting, way too much electronics in the thing, it was faster than snot and the 6 speed transmission is busy shifting in traffic trying to move a lot of weight quickly with a small motor that twists tight quickly. Shift was hard and it bothered Valerie's incisions from the operation. I had a Chrysler salesman remove the consul, it turns out they are removable but they sure screw up the floor space in a van. Bill look put my 'Chrysler back together so I traded them, the Enterprise rep got his panties in a not when he discovered the console was riding as baggage and though I broke it.
Dr. and other visits are under control, sure would like to have a whole week with out one, and I'll bet Rube feels the same. (Thinking of you) And the headlights started working again on my Saturn. I think it was just corroded connections inside the steering wheel from sitting too long and too many times.
I've been to the VA and they are running tests on me to see if I have had a "silent heart attack" as they have defined the words. If so I have problems that I did not know Ihad and if true that makes #5 and that is getting a bit spooky.
And with all the best meaning in the world, Merry Christmas to any and all.
Later, got to get some sleep
John

derf 12-13-2015 02:56 AM

Every generation has had their own set of issues. But I will agree the majority of the kids of the last 2 generations have pretty much sucked. But I think alot of that is due to a woeful lack of parenting skills. I'm not a parent, so you can label me irrelevant, but the last two generations of kids seem to have no concept what "work" actually means, and that it's not necessarily FUN. Who are the most recent generation's parents? The 2000ers. Where'd they get their parenting skills? Modeled after mom n dad.....from the 1980s
Mom n dad got their skills from their parents in the 1960s. That I think was the last generation that smacked their kids if they misbehaved.

So I think it was the breakdown of parenting skills in the 70s and 80s that kept declining, and now we have progressed to point where there's no real discipline at home or school and to dish it out you risk child endangerment or assault charges. These kids expect somethiñg for nothing because they've never been taught otherwise. By their parents

Dave4422 12-16-2015 04:42 PM

If I wanted the latest and greatest in car technology, I wouldn't still be driving around in an '02 SC! The basic car was designed back in the early 90s with some styling updates. Compared to cars today, I'm piloting the Apollo moon lander. The latest tech I have is an aftermarket radio that has an AUX and USB plug. I graduated high school just as personal cell phone use took off and have always been behind the times (still have a flip-phone!). I just have no need for gadgetry. I have A/C, power locks and windows, and a manual transmission that gets me good economy. Don't need much else.

derf 12-17-2015 01:30 AM

Has your shifter bushing broken yet?--- it's right around that time--best to already have some form of replacemen and a phillips screwdriver in the car to remove the center console. Worst comes to worst, hold the shift cable to the ball, put it in second, and limp home.

Just to one-up you (which is quite rare for me), I have a custom modified 1997 OEM Saturn AM FM CD w Equalizer AND a FRONT AUX 3.5mm jack for Ipod and other input. I'm a stock kinda guy who likes the stock look---with an exception here and there when it makes sense.

Dave4422 12-17-2015 07:04 AM

Funny that you mention that Derf. It's on the list of Spring Break projects along with replacing all the IP bulbs and some rust repair. The shifter still works fine, it's always been a little sloppy. I suspect i have one or two bulbs in the IP out, but I'm thinking of replacing the lot of them, like you. And I have a growing rust spot on the frame behind the door that I want to address before it eats away at the metal and the car snaps in half. Ok that a little too dramatic, but rust is ugly.

I just have to wait until I have the time and warmer weather to do it. I don't have the benefit of a garage or even a covered area to work with anymore.

19bonestock88 12-17-2015 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 52467)
Every generation has had their own set of issues. But I will agree the majority of the kids of the last 2 generations have pretty much sucked. But I think alot of that is due to a woeful lack of parenting skills. I'm not a parent, so you can label me irrelevant, but the last two generations of kids seem to have no concept what "work" actually means, and that it's not necessarily FUN. Who are the most recent generation's parents? The 2000ers. Where'd they get their parenting skills? Modeled after mom n dad.....from the 1980s
Mom n dad got their skills from their parents in the 1960s. That I think was the last generation that smacked their kids if they misbehaved.

So I think it was the breakdown of parenting skills in the 70s and 80s that kept declining, and now we have progressed to point where there's no real discipline at home or school and to dish it out you risk child endangerment or assault charges. These kids expect somethiñg for nothing because they've never been taught otherwise. By their parents

I completely agree with you... I see some of the crap kids do these days, I think, "if I had done that as a child..." I refuse to raise my son to feel entitled... After all, we all have our part to do... And yes I believe in firm discipline when needed...

uncljohn 12-18-2015 07:42 AM

On kids both mine and current generation, all kids, ourselves included were raised with the hopes that our parents had, that we would have to deal with something less in the terms of problems than they had. Sort of like depression era living was not wished upon us or at least me and what ever had to do with life style during WWII was also not wished up on us, but we were taught values such as soda pop bottles were worth a nickel and if you wanted something extra you went out and worked finding them so you could reclaim them and obtain the cash.
However one of the saddest things that I have seen in my life time was watching a mother use the ATM and as money came out the little ankle biter danced around shouting "Mine, Mine,Mine" as the money came out.
Watch the Disney Channel once in a while and see all the advertisements telling the same ankle biters all the things they deserve to get, just tell your parents about them.
I don't deserve to have a cell phone, and I need one for minimal functions, my grand children have them and on plans that are very close to triple digit figures a month. And they do not have to pay for them. One hell of a lesson there!
I guess I am classified as an old grouch because I still have to earn and pay for my toys.
Speaking of that! Rust
That stuff is awful and I have fought it all of my life because it destroys my toys. That is one of the reasons I moved into the SW and then Arizona.
For example here I replace exhaust systems because I want to, not because it is rusted out and gone. However the trade off is heat and U.V., which destroys plastic and rubber. And guess what is a major component on my Saturn. (Also on my 70 through 80's AMC cars. To get replacement parts I have to touch base with people across the northern states and Canada where the cars rust out but the plastic interior pieces are still there. I have some work to do on my Saturn dash and the parts are on the shelf, but I am half afraid to start for fear of breaking things apart trying to unsnap the pieces.
And as to my AMC vehicles, I have a 74 that if I live long enough I will restore and sell and the dashboard is shot, trying to get replacements has been an exercise is carrying plastic shrapnel. I finally got an entire flexible dashboard from a fellow in N.J. who bought one from N.C. to get parts from and then stripped and sold the rest, I also got a double hand full of interior pieces that will work for the 74 and the 76 I am building, but it took me four years to find some one who was parting out one from the rust belt and was willing to remove and package up the pieces I wanted. So that and the missing front seats are now in my possession, the seats came from Texas and are a 2 year only compatible item.
But I paid for my toys rather than expecting some on to buy them for me.
And life goes on!
Merry Christmas

19bonestock88 12-18-2015 07:18 PM

I agree with buying/building my toys on my own, rather than expect mommy/daddy to buy it for me... Like I said, I wasn't raised to feel entitled, but rather ask what I can do for society, and I intend to pass that sentiment onto my son...

Octavious 12-27-2015 07:08 PM

Unc, the one thing i remember from when my brother had his work rental T&C was that it is an excellent burnout machine. aside from that it has all the standard gadgets and gizmos that everyone has become accustomed to as standard. My father just picked up a brand new 2016 F350 lariat. I am not looking forward to teaching him how to use the touchscreen controlled everything!

On the topic of todays kids, I believe a few of my friends and me are the only ones (that I know) that will do real work. 55-60 Hours of labor a week are normal to me, but I had to babysit (and I mean babysit) my one friend who my uncle hired to come and help me and my other guy this summer. He thinks working at shoprite slicing deli meats 6 hours a day is a hard job, when I cant get him to show up on time even two days in a row (when he only works 3). He tries to weasel his way out of work early every other week so he can go hang with friends or go to some event, but complains when he doesn't have money to $200 part on his yota. I have countless stories of this kid thru out the years ive known him. His sense of entitlement is astounding, and doesnt pay a single bill. I firmly believe were screwed in the future.

On an unrelated note. Hello everyone! Its been awhile hasnt it?

19bonestock88 12-27-2015 07:29 PM

Wow, it's been forever! Glad to see you back around here! Yup, I agree that from the predominant sense of entitlement in today's generation, we are, to quote Bender B. Rodriguez, "royally boned"...

I'm kinda surprised you haven't returned here with another Saturn... I've had three, and my latest has been a huge PITA, but somehow I still love it...