New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Slipping 5 speed autotrans on 2004 ION

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 05:30 PM

Help!

We bought an '04 ION-2, and are getting imtermittent 'slips' during gear changes. It happens on straight driving and during turns. It happens at different speeds, and between different gears. I can't 'MAKE' it happen, and since the dealership says it isn't registering on the onboard computer, they have no way to know if we aren't making this up!

Anyone else know of this slipping??

Old 03-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator

have they test driven your car? if not, insist on that....if they say that they "Cannot replicate the problem", ask for someone higher up, perhaps the general manager of the dealership or the general superintendant...if that person "cannot help you" ask for the regional GM/saturn office contact number...that usually scares dealers into being nice.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2005, 01:17 PM

Have they test driven it? Three times, once by a mechanic who kept some monitor plugged into it for two complete days back and forth from his home. If the trans was bad, wouldn't it be constant, or at least occur at similar times? If the trans was bad, wouldn't it slip if I floored it? The dealer said that they WOULD set up an appointment for the 'corporate field tech', but that's when I REALLY need it to 'slip'. Right now, we're keeping track of each time it occurs, which I'm NOW hoping will be all the time so that I can prove it. I have gone onto four other forums like this, hoping for someone out there to give me some technical 'proof' that will enable me to get the dealer or the corporate rep 'off center'. Until then, there's just too many things to replace without a reason that I can proove to them.

Thanks for your interest!

Old 03-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Administrator

hmmmm...when alot of dirt gets into an automatic tranny, it can get caught up in the valve body, and can cause shifting issues, by not allowing certain parts of the valve body to seal. i think you should make a BIG fuss about it...have they tried things liek powerflushing the tranny?

Old 03-22-2005, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by iw433
Help!

We bought an '04 ION-2, and are getting imtermittent 'slips' during gear changes. It happens on straight driving and during turns. It happens at different speeds, and between different gears. I can't 'MAKE' it happen, and since the dealership says it isn't registering on the onboard computer, they have no way to know if we aren't making this up!

Anyone else know of this slipping??

Sorry I can't help to much there but the dealer must, by law, fix the problem or replace the vehicle.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:34 PM

Once again, thanks for your interest in my ION. Any repairs, such as flushing the trans, would only be done if the PROBLEM could be documented. If I could get it to 'slip' while they were in the car, great. Either it starts slipping more, or I get it fixed on my own. But, there's so many things to look at. I suppose a flush at a tranny shop would be first.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator

i would just persistantly bother the dealer about it..if nothing else, eventually they will do something to get you off of their back.