Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Security Alarm Faulty

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 05:26 PM
Unhappy Security Alarm Faulty

Security Alarm Faulty
Hi all-
I just found this forum and I am dying to find a solution to a problem for my twin cam. I bought the Twin Cam 2002 in January for a pretty low price, so I knew that there would be some things that I would need to fix. I have pretty much taken care of every problem besides this: Every time I open a door (even the trunk) while the car is off, my alarm starts sounding until I start the car. This is pretty much the opposite of the other issue I have seen in other cars where you must wait to turn on the car until the Security light turns off, otherwise the starter will go bad.

I am not opposed to just cutting the wiring for the security system altogether because I never keep anything of value in my car, and I live in a fairly safe neighborhood.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by tarynnnitup; 07-18-2018 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Posted link by accident
Old 07-19-2018, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Answers to the following questions may provide insight as to the nature of the security system issue. 5 minutes to go through the steps and note the answers

1) What is the state of the security light when the engine is off with all doors closed and unlocked (NOT locked by fob)?
2) What is the state of the security light when you open the door after scenario 1 and does the alarm sound?
3) What is the state of the security light when the engine is off with all doors closed and LOCKED BY FOB?
4) What is the state of the security light when you unlock and open the door after scenario 3, WITH ThE FOB and does the alarm sound?
5) What is the state of the security light when you unlock and open the door after scenario 3, WITH ThE KEY and does the alarm sound?
6) Once the door is opened, the car is running, and the alarm stops sounding, what is the state of the security light with the engine running?
7) After 6, if you turn the car off, what is the state of the security light with the key OFF but still in the ignition?
8) After 7, how many times can you start the car and what is the security light state when running?
9) After 8, with the car off and key in the ignition, remove the key from the ignition. Keep doors closed. . What is the state of the security light when the engine is off with all doors closed you still inside the car?
10) After 9, what happens when you open the door to get out of the car, and What is the state of the security light.
====================
Since the horn can be honked by the car itself, it is controlled by BCM commands and probably is given the circuit ground by the BCM grounding the horn relay in that scenario.
I do not know if pressing the horn button grounds the relay/circuit (like the good old days), or just requests that the BCM sound the horn.
If pressing the horn button is completing the circuit independent of the BCM, then decoupling the BCM request to the horn relay may address your issue (horn annoyance factor).
Theoretically, I think there would have to be 2 parallel circuits running to the line that grounds the horn relay. This way they could independently ground the relay.
Your security system would be useless but it seems less than helpful now, so.........

A wiring diagram will tell you.
If you don't care about the security system being properly functional, you might investigate if there is a way to decouple
+++++++++++++++++++++++
What other issues did you have that you have addressed? Sometimes a fix for one issue creates another issue