New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Saturn Lover

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Default Saturn Lover

I owe a 2001 Saturn SC1 Couple. I bought it in Sept of 2000. My grandson was with my husband and I that day. I told him since he was about five years old, that I had called ahead and had the third door put in the car just for him. He loved that. I have not had any problems expect one big problem with it until now. My son was suppose to be taking care of it when I had surgery. One day when I was able to get out, I had a feeling that I needed to check the oil. You guessed it. It was dry. Since I was out and about, I bought oil to put in it. Later in the week, I heard the sound I dreaded.

Instead of getting rid of it, I had a mechanic find a used engine with about the same number of miles as mine. He put it in the car and all has been good. There were few minor things like needing new sensor. Otherwise, I have been very happy with it. It is gray and a standard five speed transmission. I can't remember when I didn't drive a stick shift and I am now retired.

Now, I am heart sick because the ignition switch has always been a problem but I figured out how to get it to work every time. Now, the iginition switch is totally out of the column. Everything is hanging in the floor. I was sick when i saw that my son had allow some goofy ***** to try to work on it. Now, I have been told I need a new steering column. I hope I can get it repaired properly because I intended to drive it until the day I died. ha ha....

Hope y'all are having a great day. That is my wish. Ms Brenda aka Thunderlights

Does anyone else love their Saturn as much as I do mine?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:48 AM

There are plenty of Saturns in the junkyards, Brenda. I'm sure someone could change the steering column out for you for a couple hundred bucks and you'll be able to drive it until you stop driving permanently. Sounds like someone need an *** kicking for NOT taking care of a free car to use.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Oh yes, they sure do need their butt kicked or takne out behind the shed and given a good one. ha ha....I am to soft hearted. When I get this car back, sorry but no one will drive it but me. However, I have been pondering if I might should even have it REPAIRED. It is 18 years old and was wondering if it might start having other problems. What I was looking for in a car when I bought it was great gas mileage which it got at 40 mph on the highway and small tires. I do not like to come out of pocket for expensive tires. Just call me a cheap scape. ha ha....Plus, the year I bough it there was a lot of press about how Saturn was a great car. I think it was written up in some journel which rates cars. No wrecks. Someone swiped the side but most of that was buffed out. Both the front and back bumpers have dings from being hit. I would have liked to have chased them down and taken a hammer to their car. I would have to.
Quistion. Are there too many things to concern when replacing the steering column. I was reading about all of the many wires in it that control a lot of things such as the shifter. What do you think Rubehayseed?

If you needed parts, where would you suggest I buy them? THanks for your reply.Sh

Old 06-16-2018, 07:26 AM

I'm not familiar with the electronics on the Saturns, but would THINK most of the wiring would just be plugs that need to be disconnected. A few bolts to drop the column and a few under the hood to take out. Best place for me would be either the Pull-A-Part yard in Birmingham or Montgomery. Unfortunately for you, the only years that will work for you are 91 or 92. ANY S-series column from a coupe, 4 door or even wagon will interchange. Birmingham yard shows to have ONE 92 S series 4 door. Nothing in Montgomery. You can pull up their website at www.pullapart.com and search the inventory yourself. You can even ask to be notified when a specific car comes in if you want to. That's all the help I can give you. If you pull up their site and find a car and hit "VIEW", it won't be a picture of the car, just a description that will tell you if it's a 2 door, four-door etc, with which engine size and transmission it has.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:15 AM

Thank you so much for all the information. it seems that you gave me a lot. i googled which years were compatible but didn't find an answer Yea for you. You are now my hero. More help than I received from my mecanic. He doesn't want to do the pull apart thing but I may be able to find someone and pay them to do it for me. Sure beats spending 150 for one Back in the day, I would call a junk yard and they would put it out on the network they use and when they found one, they called me. Thanks again. You just gave me some valuable info. Have a nice day in you rided. Brenda

Old 06-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

I will check Chilton books for procedure.

As usual my 1991 to 1993 manual is the only one that contains any information whatsoever about steering column removal and replacement. I'm sure the design has changed somewhat but the concepts have not. If you are doing an entire steering column removal I do not think you need to disconnect and remove everything in the steering wheel as it will already have one on it. It should also have the multifunction switch for wipers and turn signals already installed. If pulled from a junkyard. Therefore all the internal wiring should be intact.

It references pulling off the top dash cover and removing the instrument panel above the wheel but I do not see why that is necessary. It may have been necessary due to the design back then.
As rube said it looks like a few bolts a few a few electrical connectors. It is not at all clear to me why you would have to remove the upper Dash panel and the instrument panel as I have dropped a column but not removed it to access my instrument panel to replace burned-out bulbs. With the steering wheel on there is plenty enough clearance to remove the the steering , unless the bolts are in wacky places.

Please do not take the above as gospel. The information is for a car made 10 years prior. Please search the web for a how to on steering column removal for your year of Saturn. I have an exploded diagram of the 1991 to 1993 steering column and attachments but it may be totally irrelevant.

Your luckiest move would be to find someone with a factory service manual to provide you the correct instructions. Go to Saturn f a n s dot-com and search for a how to guide on that website. If you cannot find one make a post stating what you are trying to do. Be sure to include the year and model of your vehicle. I'm not trying to chase you away. You are always welcome here. I'm trying to steer you to information that will help you that is not on this site.

Derf

Last edited by derf; 06-16-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:58 PM

Derf, you are just a darling. Thank you so much for all the info you passed to me. I do not stand over a mechanic while he is working but when I talk to one, I like to have enough knowledge to let him know that I understand what he will do. I found out a long time ago that would serve to my advantage since I am a women. I learn all I do from wonderful people like you and Rube who has a Saturn. Then, I do research of my problem on google. I should have bought a book years ago but like you said, I need to know someone who has a service manager. I will go to Saturn.com It wasn't clean to me that one could post on that site. Thanks guys for your help. Every little bit of info is helpful. Don't be strangers. Hope y'all are enjoying your weekend.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

saturnfans.com not saturn. . My phone keypad was acting up. sorry

Old 06-17-2018, 07:33 AM

I used the cross reference tab in the pullapart site, Brenda. That's where I got the information I passed along to you.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:38 AM

Rubehayseed, Please explain what you mean. I understand a good bit but have no clue about cross referencing. Thanks so much. Y'all are such great guys to help me the way you have. Since the mechanic isn't willing to pay for the parts in advance, I am beginning to wonder if I have found the right one. In fact, I am beginning to wonder if repairing an 18 year old car is worth it. I started thinking about what could happen next. Do you understand how I feel?

Quick Reply: Saturn Lover