Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/)
-   -   In the process of buying my first Saturn (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/process-buying-my-first-saturn-8162/)

mandee_07 07-25-2013 09:43 AM

In the process of buying my first Saturn

Hi I am Mandee. I am in the process of buying my first Saturn. Its a 2006 Ion manual, quad coupe with less than 50,000 miles. I should be picking it up next Monday. I'm just looking for ideas and advice with these cars and hope to learn something.

OceanArcher 07-25-2013 10:49 AM

Keep an eye on the oil level, and keep the tires inflated properly

mandee_07 07-25-2013 11:14 AM

do these tend to lose oil?

sw2cam 07-25-2013 04:04 PM

Hello and welcome

No none of the ecotec family of engines are known to use oil.

mandee_07 07-26-2013 01:59 PM

Thank you!

Thats what i thought. My husband has an ecotec in his 2005 chevy classic and weve never had a problem.

Dtruck1 07-26-2013 07:20 PM

Yeah, my girlfriend's 2007 Cobalt has the 2.2L Never uses oil, but it get's horrible mileage for what it is. She get's 32 mpg at best and I can get 41 mpg with my SL1. Good job on the manual gearbox. It should run 200,000 plus if you know how to drive a stick.

mandee_07 07-26-2013 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dtruck1 (Post 38520)
Yeah, my girlfriend's 2007 Cobalt has the 2.2L Never uses oil, but it get's horrible mileage for what it is. She get's 32 mpg at best and I can get 41 mpg with my SL1. Good job on the manual gearbox. It should run 200,000 plus if you know how to drive a stick.

Its been about 7yrs since I drove a stick and when my friends dad offered me this car I was all for it even though it was stick, I jumped in for a test drive and did good, no grinding gears for me! I was proud of myself lol. Just ready to get the car so I can become really good at it. I'm really excited about this car! lol

Our friend has a cobalt and her's seems to get ****ty mileage too, weird!

Dtruck1 07-26-2013 08:06 PM

I'm not going to tell anyone how to drive their car, but as a technician there are some tricks to extend your clutch life.

1. When you are stopped, always put it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch. Every time you hit the clutch, you make the throw out bearing spin. Like all bearings, except frictionless, they have a certain life in them.

2. Don't downshift to slow down. Every time you slip the clutch to match engine rpm with input shaft rpm, you are causing un-needed wear to the clutch plate. It is not a big rig, so you don't need the engine to help slow you down.

3. Try to find the happy point to shift. Every car is different and there is a sweet spot where when you up shift, the engine and trans will be almost the same rpm. This prevents slippage of the clutch plate as well.

4. Always have your foot off the clutch pedal before you step back on the gas. Another easy way to prevent excessive clutch slippage.

mandee_07 07-26-2013 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dtruck1 (Post 38522)
I'm not going to tell anyone how to drive their car, but as a technician there are some tricks to extend your clutch life.

1. When you are stopped, always put it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch. Every time you hit the clutch, you make the throw out bearing spin. Like all bearings, except frictionless, they have a certain life in them.

2. Don't downshift to slow down. Every time you slip the clutch to match engine rpm with input shaft rpm, you are causing un-needed wear to the clutch plate. It is not a big rig, so you don't need the engine to help slow you down.

3. Try to find the happy point to shift. Every car is different and there is a sweet spot where when you up shift, the engine and trans will be almost the same rpm. This prevents slippage of the clutch plate as well.

4. Always have your foot off the clutch pedal before you step back on the gas. Another easy way to prevent excessive clutch slippage.

Thanks for the tips! They are much appreciated!

sw2cam 07-31-2013 05:42 PM

So, did you get the ION?