New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Problem with Saturn Vue Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Question Problem with Saturn Vue Radio

Hello to all,
I have a puzzling issue with the radio in my friend's 2007 Saturn Vue. When you put the ignition to the "ON" position the radio works but as soon as you start the car the radio will shut off and it will not work. Shut the car down and put the ignition into the "ON position and it will work. I have tried to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes in hoping the computer would reset and recognize the radio. No luck. Does any one out there have any suggestions as to where I should look next. Thanks in advance for advice.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Glenn Degere
Hello to all,
I have a puzzling issue with the radio in my friend's 2007 Saturn Vue. When you put the ignition to the "ON" position the radio works but as soon as you start the car the radio will shut off and it will not work. Shut the car down and put the ignition into the "ON position and it will work. I have tried to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes in hoping the computer would reset and recognize the radio. No luck. Does any one out there have any suggestions as to where I should look next. Thanks in advance for advice.
Not sure if "ON" means "RUN" (one position before cranking, dash light check performed). Assuming that's what you mean.

1) Didn't specify if it was a stock Saturn Vue radio or aftermarket.---which one?
2) Does anything show up or light up on the display of the radio when it is not working (with car running?) For example, does it display "LOCK" when you hit the radio power button with the engine running?
3) Is it the ORIGINAL radio that came with the vehicle, plugged into the existing GM wiring harness, with no modifications? Or is it a replacement radio?

Sounds like the radio is locked via a built in theft deterrent feature. There is a security code, usually 4 digits, that can be entered into the radio. Each time power is removed to the radio (battery disconnect, radio removal/disconnection, etc), the radio goes into lock down mode. The correct aforementioned security code must be entered to re-enable the radio. Check the owner's manual for the vehicle to see what button sequence takes you to the prompt to enter the code.

My GUESS is that
a) it is the original radio with a security code entered and the code has been lost or
b) it is a replacement stock unit that had a security code already input before it was removed from another vehicle and you obtained it.
Either way, if I'm correct, you need the correct code to unlock it. Check online for a hack method of determining the radio's current security code--I know it was possible on earlier model lines.
The alternative is to take it to a GM Dealership and have them unlock it for you -- I believe a universal unlock code/procedure exists, but I don't remember the details. If the dealer is nice he'll do it for free, but prob not.

I believe the code check is part of the startup sequence where the BCM has the expected radio code stored. It queries the radio for its code. If the two don't match, no radio.
This would also explain why it works before starting the engine: the security code check does not occur until the vehicle is started.

Last edited by derf; 12-22-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:14 AM

Man, I've been out of touch on the latest radio technology. I had no idea there were these security locks on radios. Used to be good business buying and selling radios out of junk vehicles. This could put a real damper on that when buying a used radio.