New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New from Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 07:31 AM
Banned
Default New from Wisconsin

Hello all! After a long and painfull search for a second vehicle I found my new ride. A 1996 SL1, all options ( I had a 1994 SL1 many years ago). I got pretty lucky. Other than a little rust it is in really nice shape and everything works and for $750 even has new tires! I have only burned a few tanks of gas (and some oil) and have been in the mid 30's for mileage. I think I may have found a good one. Going to replace the upper motor mount but thats it. Look forward to reading and posting here.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of good Saturns out there still rollin' the roads or temporarily put aside...unfortunately most people don't "understand" them. Most who own Saturns don't give them up easily -- esp the S series as they are so much fun to drive AND get crazy mileage.

Now, in a strange backwards way, there is 2 "generations" of people discovering what they missed
1) people around during the Saturn era --- finding fun DD's
2) people younger than those from the Saturn era buying their first cars n such or picking up a spare car---they are cheap, fun, and dependable

Dependable IF YOU MAINTAIN them.

You've already owned 1 Saturn so you know what I mean.

Any questions? Please search the forum---if you can't find what you need we're here to help

Old 09-18-2015, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure to loosen and retighten the nuts on the lower torque axis frame mount to avoid "trapping" a static stress between the two mounts. It's a two mount system.

see

Richpin's YouTube vid at

Last edited by derf; 09-18-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:57 AM

Welcome to the forum, man. It's a good place to be.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Banned

Wow, thanks for the tip! I did not know that. The really nice part about these cars is they don't break the bank and they are easy to work on. My son-in-law has a BMW and I think that thing has cost him double in repairs than what I paid for this car alone! I'm really happy with the mileage too, 36mpg last fill up. I don't even remember that on my 94 SL1. Is it true that the DOHC engines don't get as good of mileage?