Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/)
-   -   New soon to be 93 sc2 owner (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/new-soon-93-sc2-owner-11472/)

Aaron Broussard 10-01-2018 03:13 PM

New soon to be 93 sc2 owner

Hey everyone. Just stumbled upon a pretty decent 93 sc2 coupe with only 32k miles. Seller agreed to sell it to me for $400 due to the clutch not working.

02 LW300 10-01-2018 08:22 PM

Welcome! Derf is our S series guru, he will check in soon. Saving another Saturn is a good thing.

derf 10-02-2018 02:32 AM

32K? How does the wear look?
Do the shoulder belts move in their tracks?
What tires are on it? Beware dry rot.

When you say "clutch doesn't work, do you mean it can't switch gears (stuck in 1 gear and neutral w clutch pedal held down, or jammed in gear and putting clutch in does not free up the shifter.

Please start a thread in the S series coupes section about the technical stuff

Welcome!

Aaron Broussard 10-02-2018 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 60750)
32K? How does the wear look?
Do the shoulder belts move in their tracks?
What tires are on it? Beware dry rot.

When you say "clutch doesn't work, do you mean it can't switch gears (stuck in 1 gear and neutral w clutch pedal held down, or jammed in gear and putting clutch in does not free up the shifter.

Please start a thread in the S series coupes section about the technical stuff

Welcome!

The clutch won't disengage to start the car. He disconnected the hydro lines from the slave cylinder and did not refill the system properly with brake fluid so the clutch pedal has to resistance. I've worked with these closed hydro systems before and know how to burp them to remove all the air l, fill and reseal. I know some people say you have to buy a whole new hydro system but I've resealed a closed system before and works just fine. As far as wear, the tires are completely shot. Bald, dry rotted and not holding air so I'll need a new set of tires. Prob going to go used just to get it up and running since I'll be putting different rims on the car. The seatbelts do work properly as well as the headlights and sun roof. Black leather seats are not that bad other than where he just threw the old clutch and pressure plate on the backseat. Fabric of the headliner is missing, rear drivers side window shattered, will need a repainting from this huge thick scratch down the drivers side door everything else good. Ac and heat even works. But not that bad for the plans I have for it. Will create a project thread when I get to my starting point.

Aaron Broussard 10-02-2018 02:48 AM

Oh and also all suspension components will need to be replaced due to improper removal during clutch job by previous owner.

That being said, how do they typically ride? Any better than a civic? That's always my main priority is to have a comfortable ride.

derf 10-02-2018 03:39 AM

Most of what you described as far as non working parts are consistent w lack of use or failed from use.
Headlight motors need to be worked up and down by hand under the hood. Each has a spinning knob that works the worm gear. Plus the contacts on the lighting stalk need to be cleaned after that.

Seatbelt and sunroof typically break from use / wear, though motors may need a helping hand redistributing lubrication.
Bald tires at 32K are awfully early. If 32K on the car, they should be original Firehawk FTA's.

Window smashed out brings with it the strong likelihood of interior moisture exposure and mold, not to mention frame rot from the inside out.
How do you know the heat and A/C work if you can't start the car? Did you finesse the pressure plate back just far enough to slip the shifter into neutral? Confused.

I'm thinking this is not a 32K car. I think the odometer broke at 32K.

As for comfort. it's all relative. Better than an 80's AMC Pacer, not a smooth as a Grand Marquis.

Seriously, it's a subcompact from he early 90's. The suspension is adequate for decent handling for what it is but at the expense of comfort. I have been driving DOHC s cars exclusively since 1992, and it is finally beginning to bother my back a bit,. But if you get lucky and the lumbar adjuster breaks in the out position, you'll be happier.

Can't compare it to the civic -- never drove one.

Healthy amount of road noise.

As for the clutch master slave, many have tried, many have failed at successfully getting all the air out if this particular setup. I think there is a port they use at the factory which is then sealed. Never messed with it.

Aaron Broussard 10-02-2018 04:16 AM

I can start the car what I meant was I can't put it into gear. The window is busted out because someone put a brick through it the headlights and sunroof DO work. The car had set in an old hay barn for 20 years. All 4 tires are different which the original 1st owner worked construction and said he had to change the tires many times from rolling over nails, screws and scrap metal. He is a trusted source, I've known about this car most of my life as he purchased it brand new(the 1st owner) which he sold it to one of my friends that didn't know anything about cars or stick shifts to try and learn a 5 speed. So I'm 100 it's actual miles. The car is really mint. I'll have pics up on my project post when I put it up.

derf 10-02-2018 04:37 AM

Apologies on the do /doesn't work slipup. A perfect example where you have a preconceived notion of how a sentence is going to read and your brain happily replaces the words with your thoughts.

Looking forward to seeing it!

For the record, I almost asked if this was a barn find, but I thought that would be too sarcastic, even for me.
At least I was right about something.......

Aaron Broussard 10-02-2018 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 60756)
Apologies on the do /doesn't work slipup. A perfect example where you have a preconceived notion of how a sentence is going to read and your brain happily replaces the words with your thoughts.

Looking forward to seeing it!

For the record, I almost asked if this was a barn find, but I thought that would be too sarcastic, even for me.
At least I was right about something.......

LOL well sir you were absolutely right. However, I knew it's been there for 20 years. Should start the project thread in the next couple weeks.

Rubehayseed 10-02-2018 08:22 AM

Welcome to the forum. Having owned two SC's over the years, I can say I really like the little cars. Unfortunately, with my wife having had 8 back surgeries, they're too hard for her entry and egress, so I had to get rid of them and find something taller for her. I'm looking forward to seeing your project and will offer any advice on the minimal knowledge that I have and remember about. Derfs the go to guy on the SC's for sure.