New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

2002 Saturn SC "Camper"

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Default 2002 Saturn SC "Camper"

Hello Saturn gurus. My name is Éclair and I'm a very proud owner of an '02 Saturn SC1 which I had converted to a camper. (Don't worry, pictures to follow). I've owned this car for a couple of years now and have done lots of work with it. I live in it full-time and travel all over Canada with it. To date, I recently did the fuel pump, transmission solenoids and ECU remapping.

Last edited by Éclair; 09-17-2018 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Photos didn't upload first time.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

ECU REMAPPING?

Please do tell.

Welcome

Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 AM

Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you're single and NOT a family man.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:46 PM

My best friend did all sorts of computer work to the car, I'll never understand lol. And I'm female. But no, not a family, house wife type of woman.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

(Rube, having been mule kicked in the 'nads, slowly waddles off to the side...)

I'd REALLY like to know more about the ECU remapping.
Do you think you could get your friend to write up a few paragraphs to just give to you to type in?

It's nice to have a woman on the forum again. Hope you become a regular.
Keeps the stereotypes partially shattered. I've been modding the forum for over 15 years and I think there were really only 2 women who became regulars -- Mandee who vanished, and someone before her whose name I can't recall.

Rube's a dirty old man---and proud of it. Lemme know if he gives you any trouble
Now Andy, he's a gentleman.
As for me, I'm a moody one with little tolerance for reality

You don't have to tell us, of course, but I'm thinking you have a job in either Sales and Marketing or some type of specialized support or service role in a company that sells complicated mechanical things.
My gut says the first one, but you obviously don't mind working with your hands on mechanical stuff, so the latter makes sense too.......

Probably a food critic.....

What kind of interior mods have you done to make your Satty into a truly mobile home?

Again, welcome.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:51 AM

Hey derf, thanks for noticing! LOL I see my reputation precedes me.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:24 AM

Lol I'm used to it. I will most definitely ask how she did the computer for the car (when I watch her do it, I can only make of electric-rubbish -I'm old fashioned). I l work for environment canada as a storm chaser which lets me travel all of canada. Some mods were deleting the rear seats, installing a twin bed with wooden frame, some plain window curtains, miniature shelf table behind the passenger seat (one day will become a sink), 4x feather blankets for those deadly winter months (they work a charm) and disabled trunk access (who needs a trunk anyways) lol.
And another concept I was brain storming. Should only add 94lbs (with window and trunk removed) as well an upgraded rear suspension. MPG will be eaten and asrodynamics will be the same as a rubix cube but I was quoted $1800 from a fabricating shop. Itll be entirely out of plastic.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Wild . The only thing I would caution you against is removing too much of the frame of the car when integrating the add on. Looks like you'd be can openering the roof, which is one of the few steel outer parts of the car. The others being the hood and trunk lid. I wouldn't want to be in there if it rolled over. The frame rails obviously provide strength but not sure it's enough.

If that is going to replace the trunk lid, same concern regarding overall stiffness of that part of the vehicle.

It must be thin to only weigh 90 lbs. Doesn't mean it can't also be strong....

Would be cool if you started a thread in off topic w storm pics....

Last edited by derf; 09-26-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:25 PM

A belated welcome from me, I hadn’t really noticed your intro... I’m also very curious about what all has been done to your car, as I like to tinker with them and get new ideas...

I’m harmless, I swear, but I try and help when I can

Old 09-30-2018, 02:10 AM

Oh for sure it wouldn't just be plastic, I'd be adapting a roll cage design into the final blueprints in the end as I've worried about the vehicle's structure. Right now, the trunk lid doesn't do much (it hovers in place with tie down straps due to a locking issue). But since I never use the trunk lid, I figured deleting it wouldn't be much of a loss if any. But definitely have some more modifying to do before the project begins.