Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/)
-   -   New Saturn owner - 99 SC2 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/new-saturn-owner-99-sc2-6526/)

murray9 01-26-2012 12:14 PM

New Saturn owner - 99 SC2

Just dropping in to say hello. I pick up my 99 SC2 this evening.

99 SC2 with 60,000 miles. Older couple owned and then bought as a first car for a girl (who never got her liscense) so now it's mine. Will be used basically as a commuter car ~90 miles a day.

It's been sitting around for about 4 years with MINIMAL miles. Plan on changing the oil and trans fluids right away, changing the ECTS, cleaning the ERG and throttle body, checking the thermostat (changing if needed). I have to check the sunroof drains since there is the trunk leak and water on the passenger side floor. Of course the sunroof does not work, motor went and was taken out.

Is there anything else I should look at/change right away?

RjION 01-26-2012 12:34 PM

Don't worry bout the t-stat if it's running up to the 3/4 mark and the cooling fan comes on.

Cooling fan comes on at or near the 3/4 mark unless the A/C is turned on. Then if the A/C is working right the cooling fan will run while the A/C is on.

Will not hurt to flush the cooling system and clean out the fill bottle and replace the cap.

Check the radiator top on drivers side facing inward for swelling. Keep an eye on it replace the second it starts to seep. Use a flash light

Check water pump for seepage

If you need an ETCS get it from the dealer and replace the connector at the same time. Don't worry what some Chevy parts counter man tells you. Replace that connctor.

Change the oil. 5-30 Mobile-1 and I've never had a 1.9L burn oil. If you run regular oil pour in 10W-30. Hell 10W-30 Mobil-1 is better yet.

murray9 01-26-2012 12:48 PM

Thanks for the advice. I want to get a shopping list together and get everything done before i really start driving it much. Been sitting for the better part of 4 years, so i don't want to run any bad fluids for much longer and potentially ruin anything.

What dealer can i get the parts from since Saturn is no longer around? I've read the parts stores some parts are good while others are bad.

RjION 01-26-2012 01:36 PM

Chevy dealers ............. give them a call. Most aftermarket parts for s-cars are on the poor side of fit and quality.

sw2cam 01-26-2012 06:55 PM

trike1946 01-26-2012 07:20 PM

Welcome to the forum.

OceanArcher 01-27-2012 08:35 AM

Excuse the lateness of my nod - but welcome to the Forum

99sattieSC2 01-28-2012 06:34 PM

Welcome to the forum. I own a 99Sc2 as well since 2006. I love Satties and try a cold air intake if yours does'nt already have one. Awesome cars.

99sattieSC2 01-28-2012 06:41 PM

It's me again, you may have to clean the egr valve every once and awhile i have on my sattie, and the second time I cleaned the carbon out of the inside of the throttle body as well. Seemed to help.